• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hapalochlaena sp? from the Northern Territory

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The male blue-ringed octopus that I have from northern Australia continues to feed and grow. It has reached a mantle length of about 5 cm and takes one or two large grass shrimp a day. The animal refuses to move off the side of the aquarium and will not even feed on the bottom.

Roy

Attachments

• conv_305289.jpg
    conv_305289.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Roy,
The animal has a bloated look (particularly in the arms) that I often note in O. hummelincki as they enter senescence. I have expressed curiosity about internal potential retention of salt/minerals (and wondered aloud about how the get freshwater when they stop eating) and if this is a result of aquarium keeping or just a natural phase. I see it in my current female (but not all the time) which adds to my curiosity. An interesting commonality is that when this "bloat" look starts to show, they tend to spend most of their time on the upper reaches of the glass, even bobbing above the waters a bit. My current female returns to her den to sleep but is otherwise out on the walls. I also see heavier sucker shed at this point and a willingness to be touched as if the skin is "itchy".

POSTER TIME! That one should go in the formal description. Very much reminiscent of the beautiful art work that used to accompany formal descriptions but even better since its beauty is not an eye of the artist modification. The blue ring display on the arms is exceptional! You are always raising the bar on ceph photos and this one made it jump a few inches.

You might want to water mark it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back