Hamster Tunnels for Enrichment?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Black96WS6, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Black96WS6

Black96WS6 GPO Registered

Hi all,

As we all know, enrichment and variety goes a long way towards keeping an Octopus from getting bored (and potentially crawling out of the tank).

With this in mind, has anyone ever experimented using colorful hamster tunnels for them to play in/crawl through?

Would they weigh enough to sink to the bottom or do you think they would float at the surface?

I know PVC pipe works, however I was just curious if anyone had ever tried these?:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1111595327559

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1111595743652

I would assume the different colors would be much more fun for an Octopus ;)

2. dawnchihuahua

dawnchihuahua GPO Registered

My friend has a few of those in her fish aquarium-- She has them weighted down with gravel, they float otherwise.

3. Black96WS6

Thanks! Ok it looks like I'll be using PVC then! I plan to use a variety of them, and leave openings everywhere for good waterflow, I'm sure the new octo will love the setup:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

The pvc should also be food grade quality so it doesnt leach out anything nasty in saltwater...

welcome to TONMO too :)

5. Black96WS6

Thanks Colin!

So normal PVC pipe won't work from Home Depot that you know of? Do you know who sells the food grade quality PVC?

6. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

You'd be looking at a large jump in cost, but clear acrylic from a plastics company worked fantastically for Mike DeGruy and Co. on the documentary "Incredible Suckers". They had thought that they would have to tempt the octo through their see-through labyrinth, but as soon as they introduced their specimen to the underwater habitrail the octopus took to exploring. Out here in Santa Monica there is a company called Hastings Plastics that is a great source. Hamster tunnels from the pet store would definitely be more cost-effective, however.

Erich