Halloween costumes

I hope this is the right place to put this thread.

So, I'm a big fan of this comic called Girl Genius, so for Halloween I decided to be a Spark, which is essentially a steampunk mad scientist except less evil (sometimes) and more colorful.

My mad science device is a Mimmoth-Powered Cephalopodic Organism Splicer. Essentially I point the ray gun part at things and they become part cephalopod. There are different settings for different cephs.

I get really into my costume. Props for this include:
- OctoMouse (bonus points if you catch the reference, science geeks)
- Control panel on the side with simplified sketches of an octopus, a squid, a cuttlefish, and a nautilus
- A part of the device made of spraypainted soda cans, three of which have visible labels. These three read: Vampiroteuthis infernalis, Sepia apama, and Tremoctopus violaceus. If anyone has ideas for a fourth label I'll hear it. I'm thinking about including Estonioceras, maybe, but the other names are all of specific species.

Anyway, thought cephalopod lovers might appreciate that. If anyone's interested, I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Does anyone else have a cool costume they want to share? Especially one that has something to do with our favorite invertebrates? I love costumes and I'd really like to see what others have come up with!

That sounds amazing! Please post pictures! Girl Genius is awesome! If I could dress up as Castle Heterodyne (my favorite character!) I'd be all over it. Be careful, though; if you post Halloween pictures someone is liable to make an icon out of them :monty: :rolleyes:

p.s. look at the tonmocon I pics for some of Erich's Ammonite masks. See also pics from his shows at Amazon.com

Wow, that's amazing. What does he make them out of? Is it papier-mache? Would you know how he gets such thin tentacles to stay upright and curly? Maybe with wire...

Also, wow. TONMOCON looks so incredibly cool. I wish I could go, but I have no car, no money, and several midterms. Castle Heterodyne is pretty amazing, by the way, but even if you were able to make yourself look like a. the castle itself, or b. that big biting head which one could argue is its face, the sheer overwhelming number of deathtraps you would have to incorporate into your costume would be prohibitive. Because it isn't Castle Heterodyne unless there are deathtraps.
A friend of mine is going as Agatha herself, and made a huge cardboard ray gun styled after the one Agatha made out of the crashed airship. This thing looks dangerous. She keeps worrying it doesn't look like the one in the comic, and I keep arguing that since she's the one with the explody death ray no one is going to argue with her. Then we started talking about how early cephs ate trilobites and wondered what that meant for the relationship between our characters.

As for Octorat... Just... I want one.

Urr... Octopus, pus refering to puss, and mouse being its favourite predatory focus? I guess I don't "get" it?

I dressed up as a pirate and instead of the classic parrot on the shoulder... I had an octopus with a pirate bandana and a little sign that said Kraken. All my friends who knew I was a cephalopod geek just looked at me and shook their heads cause they knew that only I would pull something like that

blue_ringed57;127359 said:
I dressed up as a pirate and instead of the classic parrot on the shoulder... I had an octopus with a pirate bandana and a little sign that said Kraken. All my friends who knew I was a cephalopod geek just looked at me and shook their heads cause they knew that only I would pull something like that

That is amazing.

So haven't uploaded any photos yet, because we only took so many and a friend of mine and I plan to get back in costume for more pics on Friday. Alas, one of my coolest knobs popped off of my box, and I can't find it. Otherwise, though, the costume was pretty sturdy! It'll stick around for a long time.

Sorry it took so long!

Finals. Class signup. Ugh.

Anyway, a few pics. Octomouse isn't up yet.

If you look closely at the cans you can see the labels, and the side of the box has a stylized octopus on it, under the label "Mimmoth Powered Cephalopodic Organism Splicer".
Sparky_costume_by_Kirel_Kemmetmau.jpg

very cool! I can't really see the minmoth clearly, though, or the labels on the canisters. I like the ray-gun style.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back