Had a scary experience tonight.

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by ant, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ant

ant Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well, i was changing my water and i had put a small heater in my sump.(BTW my sump is external from the tank base) I was pouring in the second batch of water when there was a nice spark across the water. Apparently some of the water leaked into the heater and zapped it. Just flipped the breaker and my fish were fine. Still need a new heater though.

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:shock: Wow!!! You and the fish were really lucky!!! Did it crack?

3. ant

Not so much a crack but a "zapping noise" then a pop

If i order from fishsupply.com it will be a bimac right?

4. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

i had a few experences like that before

one time i was working in a 55 gallon when the light strip fell in the water commencing to electrocute me... it was the oddest sensation ever i could feel the current running up my arm and down my legs(i was barefoot and on concrete) but the odd thing was that i couldnt pull my arm out the tank. so i had to reach in while in convulsions and pull the light strip out with the other hand then i could feel the current running up one arm and through my chest and down the other!... about 30 seconds after it started i was on my butt on the floor and the light strip was across the room! doesnt feel too good you were lucky

5. ant

yeah it feels queer (odd) to be shocked. Ive been shocked a couple times actually. I was shocked by my power strip once that scared me to death

6. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

yea i had a massive flood from one of my tanks, and the carpet was completely saturated, when my bare foot touched the wet carpet, zap, had to shut the breaker off before i could get into my bedroom

7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

What terrible experiences! Glad you're all OK.

Ant, make sure your next heater is more waterproof! You won't need a heater much for a bimac unless the room you're going to keep him in is quite cold.

Fish Supply gets its bimacs from Octopets. I don't know whether they are handling any other species at this time, so be sure and specify that it should be a bimac!

Nancy

8. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

yes fishsupply should be a bimac. ohh nancy do you know of any lfs in the dallas area that get o. bocki, or jubani* sry to be off topic

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I've been zapped many times, usually for dumb reasons. I am learning not to complete the circuit with my body... Once I let the extension cords dip behind the tank and salt water dripped on the connection and started a fire. Luckily, I smelled smoke and ran to disconnect everything. Fried the pump on my protein skimmer.