H.P. Lovecraft - A. aculeatus... I think...

Hi all. Octo came in this morning and man was she fiesty! The second I got the bag open she was looking to get out. I took a pic or two but she is still acclimating so I want to give her a little peace.

(I dont know she is a she, I'm just gonna use it until proven other wise.)

I put a rock in the bucket with her so she could have a place to hide. She apparently appreciated this.

She has really long arms but is missing 3, they are starting to grow back. Her mantle is about an inch and I would say her arms are about 4 or 5 at least.

It is so cool watching her in the bucket under the rock. She had just her eyes out peeking at me lol. I'm stoked... Plus, none of the problems I had before Thank You Jesus!

That sounds great. Glad to hear everything came out ok (aside from the missing legs of course). I'd love to see some pictures of her. When I got my O. Briareus I too placed a small rock for her to hide in which she went to immediately. When I got my O. Hummelincki she already had some gravel in the back with here so i just scooped it up into one pile and she crawled around it. I think it helps the animals a lot during the acclimation period stress wise if they have something to feel safe in. Did you get yours from LiveAquaria?

Yes, thats why the I think on the ID lol. From what I have read/seen she looks just like them but, I am by no means an expert on the matter. I agree with you about the stress durring acclimation. She gets a little mad that I have to keep checking on her and the water. I would like to leave her alone but you know how it goes, until the water matches she stays where she is and I keep peeking in on her.

I don't really bother testing the water during acclimation, but I know what you mean about bugging them to keep an eye on water level. Every time I opened the lid on my O. Briareus, she would flash dark auburn and squish herself down as low as she could. How much did you pay for this one? Reason I'm asking is because I spoke to a guy at a store where I live who said he could get pretty much any species of octopus I wanted for about $25 flat rate. I know they have only two stores, one in Dallas and one in Houston I believe is the second. Anyways, just thought it'd be worth looking into. I don't know if they would give you the same rate down there though.

I think I know the place you are talking about... Fish Design or something like that. They do get octos but they dont guaranty ANYTHING! I bought a brain from them, but didnt notice till I got home it was diseased... I called them right then. In short it was to bad so sad. So if I REALLY want an octo and I am desprate... then I might go to them, other wise I would rather wait for LA, pay more than double the 25$ and have a guaranty for 2 weeks. Even going through Tom would be better in my opinion. At least these animals we know where they come from or at least if we dont they are covered by some guaranty.

Dont get me wrong about Fish Design, the stores are AWESOME. You just have to really really look and make sure that you know what you are buying.

I've only bought a few fish from them and they were all healthy. I'm going to try and get an O. Cyanea from them after my O. Hummelincki dies. I'll let you know if I experience the same problems you talk about. But I too worry about getting a guaranty of a healthy animal.

I got the octo in the tank! Things look like they are going well. I did forget to cover the return hose with gutter guard so now I'm making a mad dash to home depot. How did I forget something like that? Man this octo is neat! It swirled its arms up and made them all fat looking and made itself look striped. VERY EXCITED!

dwhatley;155724 said:
Octos Watching TV or computer monitors has been reported by many keepers, especially with the abdopus complex. A recent study showed that with HD TV the australian gloomy octo can recognize what they see. It appears not to be true of lower definition video and they think the refresh rate is the key.

Thats awesome! We have HD so I wonder if it really is watching our shows.

So far she has come in and out and in again. Shes checking out her new home a bit. She has picked a spot between two white rocks to hide and all you see are her raised eyes in the middle. lol

The little horns that you will see (signature for the abdopus) are very endearing and worth keeping the camera near by to catch (try avoiding using a flash) as they poke up over the LR.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back