H.P. Lovecraft - A. aculeatus... I think...

You're trip to Galveston sound fun. I miss the times when I lived down there. I'd go to the beach every weekend and catch things. I can't wait till my daughter (6 months) grows up and I can take her down there. If you're interested in catching some cool things, you might want to try the saltwater pool in Rockport Beach, or the Jetties in Port Aransas. This time of year there should be some pretty neat stuff in there.

The greatest thing about living close to the beach, is that you not only get to collect your own live food source, but the animals to stock your tank with. I used to collect all of my fish and inverts from Rockport all the time. Snails, crabs, flounders, pipefish, jellies, anemones, you name it. I think you've made alot of people jealous.

I just got back about an hour ago. It was GREAT! My daughter had a blast and I was able to find some crabs that hopefully HP will eat. We pay dues for the reef club 30$ a year so food and drinks were provided. We started at a house in galveston and people were looking for all kinds of small crabs not even a 1/2 inch. I didnt need much, some crabs and seaweed and a good time was why I went. We went to 2 other locations, one near the marsh and the other at the jetties on the sea wall... I caught a few more crabs and Felicity (my daughter) played in the ocean.

I got home and HP was out... Shes still out actually... It looks like shes attacking the glass, like she sees herself and thinks its another octo. Then when shes tired of attacking herself she starts looking/feeling the exits. lol So basically shes checking everything out and making herself at home.

All and all it was a great day. The best part is I now know where and what I am doing so I will be able to make it a regular thing. yay!

Sounds like you and Felicity had a great day. When we visit my parents in FL, we have so much fun beach combing. :biggrin2: We have been tossing around the idea of a trip this summer, wonder if fiddlers would survive the trip back, maybe. Yeah right, who am I kidding, I probably couldn't catch them anyway. :lol: I want some good weather too, here it has been cold, today warmer but humid and not too much sun.

Driving or flying? Last time we drove down we picked some up near Jacksonville on the way back and they did fine. We also took home some live shrimp in a small aerated plastic bait bucket that did well but shrimp might not make it back to Chicago. Fiddlers, however, would with very little effort (they are two day shipping from Paul). You can still try the shrimp and freeze them if the don't make it but live long enough to get them back before they start breaking down.

If you stop here on the way back, we can change out the water etc ... :biggrin2:

D, Looking at July. Ideally would like to fly down w/my 2 daughters and spend the entire time with my parents, I have not seen them since last June and my mom was in the hospital almost my entire visit. Mark wants to drive. The problem is when he comes with, he'll want to go on excursions every day which I enjoy but I want to spend as much time with my parents as I can. On the other hand, driving will enable me to visit with you. I guess Mark can excursion with my girls, a lot to think about.
Is it legal to catch fiddler crabs on the beachs of FL?

Whose going to care for Diablo while youre gone? That has been my concern. We have been planing a trip to go camping when Felicity gets back into town and I (obviously) would have to find someone to come to the house and feed HP. I suppose I could just leave pealed shrimp. That way there is nothing to clean up or muck the water while were gone and I could "train" my friend on how to feed her. But still, we all know how that goes...

Worst case I only go car camping instead of the deep woods camping we would like to do. Actually renting a small cabin near by has a nice ring to it as well.

I have a son 24 who is here while we are gone. He is great topping off and feeding. He just mentioned that he'd like to fly down while we are in FL for a weekend to visit his grandparents. I was a little concerned because he is my tank care guy. I have another son 22 who is a candidate for tank care but he is not familiar with them. I am sure what ever happens, we'll work it all out. I never trust anyone with my tanks, my son is used to daily calls and 100's of questons. My brother usually stops by to check it out too and he keeps tanks,he is the one I go to for advice.

HP was out late last night and then early this morning. She went and hid around 8 this morning. She is getting used to the tank I think. Last night I put a crab in the tank. It went into the sand as fast as it could. After a little while HP (who saw me put it in there and watched it hid) went after it. My husband saw the whole thing but I missed it. I was in time to see her dragging it off to be eaten but I'm pretty sure she killed it before that had happened.

Looks like I will be going crab fishing again today lol.

Its great that you have built in helpers. I sometimes feel like I'm "training" my kids by us doing all of this fish stuff. Its exciting because I am the only person that will teach them marine sciences this way not to mention the actual care at least until they get much older and I stop being cool to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back