• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

h mart octo

erider6

Hatchling
Registered
its a Asian food market. They had maybe 20 of them.has anyone seen these things? I bought one, and it didn't last long.. I am tempted to go back for another. I wonder what species?
there are a few videos on line, but in comments no real info on how healthy they are.
just wanted some experts to weigh in.
thanks in advance

Beginning in February of 2010 @davelin315 attempted to keep octos he found in his local H-Mart (Herndon, VA). Here is a link to his adventures. We never were sure of the species but they do appear to be imported from South Korea and may be a cold water animal. The most daunting information that Dave was able to obtain was the way that they are shipped may preclude any success in keeping them alive but I would definitely experiment if they were part of the offering here (GA). I suspect they may not be sold legally here as we have a sizable Korean population with multiple markets catering to Korean cuisine but no live animals except fish, lobster, abalone (which I HAVE "rescued" with mixed success and still have 2 alive in my cold tank after 2 years) and geoduck (too big to try).

thanks for the link, i think I'm wasting my time. i don't have the knowledge or resources to do half the job he did.but you have to love the internet. i read ever word of that thread. cool stuff. I'm still tempted to buy another.

I loved that thread too and was sad when Dave finally gave up (but majorly applaud every effort!). In spite of the expected results, I would definitely try it several times should I find any in live tanks here.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back