h mart octo

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by erider6, Jul 11, 2017.

1. erider6

erider6 Larval Mass Registered

its a Asian food market. They had maybe 20 of them.has anyone seen these things? I bought one, and it didn't last long.. I am tempted to go back for another. I wonder what species?
    there are a few videos on line, but in comments no real info on how healthy they are.
    just wanted some experts to weigh in.
    thanks in advance

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Beginning in February of 2010 @davelin315 attempted to keep octos he found in his local H-Mart (Herndon, VA). Here is a link to his adventures. We never were sure of the species but they do appear to be imported from South Korea and may be a cold water animal. The most daunting information that Dave was able to obtain was the way that they are shipped may preclude any success in keeping them alive but I would definitely experiment if they were part of the offering here (GA). I suspect they may not be sold legally here as we have a sizable Korean population with multiple markets catering to Korean cuisine but no live animals except fish, lobster, abalone (which I HAVE "rescued" with mixed success and still have 2 alive in my cold tank after 2 years) and geoduck (too big to try).

3. erider6

erider6 Larval Mass Registered

thanks for the link, i think I'm wasting my time. i don't have the knowledge or resources to do half the job he did.but you have to love the internet. i read ever word of that thread. cool stuff. I'm still tempted to buy another.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I loved that thread too and was sad when Dave finally gave up (but majorly applaud every effort!). In spite of the expected results, I would definitely try it several times should I find any in live tanks here.