• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Guestions From Finland...

Hi guys!

Greeting from finland.
I found this fine specie and now i'm in love.
well.. I decided to start cuddlefish aquarium, but is start thing slow as possible. I decided to get at least 70 gallon aquarium meaby even 90 if i find one somewhere (I'ts hard to get custom made in finland). There is few reef-aquarium in finland.. i wouldn't be too wrong if is suggest few hundred. So i'ts hard to find information, and typical reef aquarium is so much different from cuddlefish aquarium. I already noticed that reef-qauarists don't know anything about Cephalopods and that's kinda sad. So, next summer (when I really have time), I gonna start to start up an aquarium and start this hobby and lifestyle for real. The first problem i faced is that i can't find no-one from finland to have any cuddlefishs.. (what i really want) So... how long do cuddlefish stay ass egg? should i give up idea of shipping eggs from different country?

I'm new here, so be gentle :wink:

:welcome: Start reading the articles at the top of this site. That will give you some basic information. A 70 or 90 gallon would be fine for Sepia bandensis, you would need at least a 200 gallon for Sepia officinalis.

:welcome: I really like the fact that you are researching now but don't plan to get a cuttle until summer. That will give you plenty of time to have a well cycled tank before you find an inhabitant for it. What else is there to do during those long winter nights in Finland? :wink:

:welcome: to TONMO!

bandensis is probably the best cuttlefish for the tank sizes you're thinking about; they can be shipped as eggs, but might be hard to find.

Thales article Cephalopod Care is a good place to start reading, and the other articles under the ARTICLES button at the top are also worth looking at (particularly since a lot of the octopus information applies to cuttles.)

really like the fact that you are researching now but don't plan to get a cuttle until summer. That will give you plenty of time to have a well cycled tank before you find an inhabitant for it. What else is there to do during those long winter nights in Finland?
well... to be honest i have military service ahead, and it starts january. So it would be stupid to hustle things too much. it takes six months to complete... but.. well i try to build tank up before it ends (we get few vacations).
winter in finland... umm... i'm in military service then, so to me.... there will be lots of skiin... and camping in forrest... nice, eh?

A 70 or 90 gallon would be fine for Sepia bandensis
I readed everything allready that i could (and made some notes), this was the hardest to find: Specie info and tank size...

I thnk you of warm welcome

hey... i have stupid guestion... well.. how much is this gallon we're speaking about? I looked from wikipedia and it offered something like 3,5 liters and 4,5 liters... i have calculated allways 4,5 but i like to be sure.

I started to look for used aquarium. I'm well prepared for reconditioning

Hi and welcome :smile:

No, its not a stupid question - what's stupid is that there are 2 different gallons!!!

I am sticking to litres more and more these days. I normally would use imperial gallons but found I was having to refer to gallons in the US context as most TONMO.com readers are from the USA. So on this site, most gallons cited are US (the smaller gallon). Stick with litres in Europe.

If you get a used aquarium, make sure it hasn't had copper based medications used in it. For example whitespot remedies.

Colin

paleltuma;104461 said:
hey... i have stupid guestion... well.. how much is this gallon we're speaking about? I looked from wikipedia and it offered something like 3,5 liters and 4,5 liters... i have calculated allways 4,5 but i like to be sure.

I started to look for used aquarium. I'm well prepared for reconditioning

One gallon is about 3.785 liters (or 3,785 in the European comma notation.) Being lazy, I usually assume it's 4 for simple calculations, though.

edit: There's another thing called an "imperial gallon," which is probably where the 4.5 number came from, but the U.S. uses the kind that I mentioned above. I guess the imperial one was used in the U.K. before the metric system. Reading further, I find that those wacky Brits had a different gallon measure for wine, beer, and water, and, naturally, the U.S. adopted the wine variant. Which I expect explains why I am frequently confused that a British pint glass holds more than a U.S. pint. :beer: :wine: :bonk:

The US has really made a mess of measures, first with the wrong measures and then by Reagan deciding that he was too old for the country to go metric.

Hooray for imperial pints! :beer: 20 ounces of beer in a glass, 20 ounces of beer!

so this 70-90 gallons we were to Sepia bandensis, is somewhere between 250-310 liters..
not bad.. i saw in sold few 700liter aquariums on low price... but i don't have room for such beauty :frown:

aquarium...

I tried to get 350 liter aquarium from the auction, but... well.. i noticet that i couldn't move it from the seller to my house. aquarium was 150cm wide and car only 120cm. And i can't use trailer because there isn't trailer hook in our car...

luckily i found another aquarium that is newer and much more cleaner and it's only 100cm wide. the only minus is that is 50 liter smaller. but well...
"Take what you can, give nothing back"

both of these seller were 60km away from me... well see. I try to get this 300 liter tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back