Guess what's inside

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Here's a recent picture of Octopus cyanea from the island of Batanta in Raja Ampat. I hope this version is big enough to see.

Attachments

• conv_304186.jpg
    conv_304186.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 162
I can't see anything but octo arms but the ones closest to the target area don't look right sized for the animal but do look right colored so I am going with another, smaller Cyanea.

If I use my imagination, I can see an octo eye inside when I blow it up with an editor but I see a lot of octo eyes in my rocks when I am trying to find one of mine :hmm: .

Extending the guess on that note, would it be a case of black widow/praying mantis syndrome?

Of course there is another possibility:

Attachments

• conv_296174.jpg
    conv_296174.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 175
Are the tiny tentacles sticking out from between pair #1 not so much its own tips, but rather those of an unfortunate passer by, whose liver might go really well with an old Chianti? (As in: agreeing with D)

Waldo is my favorite guess so far. Here's another bit of the sequence, snapped just a minute or so earlier.

Attachments

• conv_296177.jpg
    conv_296177.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 143
Waldo was my favorite too. :biggrin2:

Hint request, is there more than one of the same thing?

That tiny yellow and cream dolphin is certainly unusual (I warned you I see stuff in the rocks):razz:

It can't be protecting its young since they are a small egg species and the first photo looks too much like a typical capture and eat behavior but if there are multiples, it can't be octopuses because they would not be found together at that size (even though it looks like two eyes, a mantle and a cluster of dead arms). I can even see a seahorse snout in this Rorschach test but I am sure that is incorrect.

Roy, I already guessed an unfortunate male and Crissy declined to comment on the guess so we're still guessing :hmm:. I keep looking at those quiggly pink lines but can't come up with them being anything else (other than intestines :yuck:)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back