This is part of a fossil cephalopod, anyone know which part. :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_302783.jpg
    conv_302783.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 83
  • conv_302784.jpg
    conv_302784.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 82
Well, I was going to wait for a few more remarks but...

Cuttlegirl got it right :notworth: (you'd make a good paleontologist)

Although it has the crystalline structure of a Belemnite, it is an internal mold of the siphuncle of an ammonite. It was hollow when buried and the crystals grew into the empty space, all the shell material, and whatever the connecting ring of the siphuncle was made of has been desolved, leaving only the crystallized internal mold. Below are 3 pics of the last three chambers of a large Prionocyclus macombi. You can see the same crystalline structure growing toward the center of each chamber (best seen in the middle pic). In the first and last pics you can see the siphuncle, an end view in the first pic and 2 segments and the mold of a third in the last pic (thing 1 is on the left).

Attachments

• conv_289794.jpg
    conv_289794.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_289795.jpg
    conv_289795.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • conv_289796.jpg
    conv_289796.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 77
Sorry for the delay Kevin. Been off for a few days, at a conference on the British Bronze Age(!) and helping out excavating at a local mill where a mysterious floor has been discovered underneath the existing 19th century mill.

Anyway, that's pretty interesting. I would certainly not have guessed that was a crystalline cast of siphuncle from an ammonite. I knew it wasn't a belemnite, but beyond that I would have been stumped. How unusual!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back