• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Guarding over and going back to a kill?

MAKOOKAM

Wonderpus
Registered
Normally I feed my male cuttle prey only large enough for a meal. Yesterday I gave him a live crab that was much larger than usual and more than a meal. I woke up today expecting to clean up the leftovers and saw that he was sitting on top of the carcass. I figured it was just chance as it was directly under where he usually hangs out so I left him with it undisturbed and planned to take out the crab at a later time. I came back 45 minutes later and he was actively feeding on it. I've never seen this kind of behavior...never seen them go back to a kill and resume feeding. I was especially impressed because this was 12 hours after the initial kill. I was under the impression that they would only feed when there was some kind of visual stimulation. Anyone else see anything like this?

Interesting because I have never seen this with the octos. The ones I have kept ignore food just left in the tank on a stick even if they have not eaten for two days (but will come for fresh). I will freeze fiddler crabs if they expire and don't have any smell but if there is the slightest trace of odor, the octopuses will not take them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back