• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Grocery Store

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Fresh shrimp, mussles, clams, scallops are all possible foods (anything fresh and marine - not fresh water - has potential). The most accepted has been the shrimp. You can try live crab and freeze it raw but the crab meat in a can (as well as most canned fish) has been cooked and recommendations are that it should be avoided (unfortunately, I do not know why).

Edit 2017 This post links an article that has a bit of information on why raw is better than cooked food.

Do not buy a large quantity at one time but you can freeze it when you take it home (bring the whole piece to be offered to room temperature before serving).

Last edited:

Jesse Horvath

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ok thanks, i would like feed my octopus live crabs as treats and frozen foods as a staple diet because i cant find feeder crabs. But i do find them at the pet store for $2.00 each. Maybe i can find a LFS that has them though.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Darn AM, you beat me to the response again! Great minds ... (and reliable suppliers :grin:).

Members online