:grin: Octopus is here!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Lmecher, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I ordered an O. biareus from Tomscaribbean. FedEx dropped off my little package at 9:30 AM. To me it looks tiny (compared to Diablo) mantle appx. 2". I cannot get a good look at the arm length, holding them close to it's body. It looks as if one or two have been severed but cannot be sure. So far it is looking good but keeping my :fingerscrossed: until we get through this stressful time.
    I have some photos.

Immediately after opening box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In tank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

GREAT! Congrats!

3. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how things go. Question... is it me or does this little guy lack the green shimmer that I would expect to see in a O. biareus? Maybe its just the pictures? I know the one O. biareus I order from Tom... my first very sad nameless octo... anyway, when I first opened the bag he was sleeping and calm and the green shimmer was obvious. Is that just see at certain times or is that a normal at rest coloring?

4. Lmecher

Oh what a bad day. Just after posting I checked the SG of the water in the shippein bag it was 1.030, I was a little horrified. I decided it would be a long slow process. Considering the box was not insulated and our weather is below freezing maybe it was just too much stress. (water was pretty cold, I should have measured the temp, kicking myself now) When finally releasing it after 3+ hours he slid to the bottom where he stayed until he died. I am just sick. I wonder too if I did something wrong. This was the first time I used an airstone. I put it in the bag while I acclimated. I placed it just below the surface. I don't know, this is so upsetting.
    Photos to come...

My O. briareus did show the green shimmer a lot but didn't always.

5. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Cute! Looks active and healthy. I'm happy for you!

6. Lmecher

When something like this happens, you feel like a looser :sad:

BTW, it was missing 4 arms. It reminded me of D's Creepy a little. Poor little one had a rough life.

[​IMG]

7. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Sorry L :cry:

:angelpus:

8. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Read my new thread. You know, I didn't check the temp either. Mine didn't look good from the start, it's still alive but just barely. Maybe it's too cold (I'm in MI, cold rainy day here). It was shipped in only a cardboard box, newspaper and a heat pack. My husband remarked that he was surprised that it wasn't packed in a styrofoam container, too. But aside from that, the big blue-black vein across it's mantle isn't a good sign, either.

9. SabrinaR

Man that sucks. I'm so sorry. Did you email Tom? Hes normally pretty good about his octos and covering any losses. Dont kick yourself. We all miss stuff sometimes. I dont think its your fault at all seeing as the SG was so high as it was.

10. Lmecher

Oh Sedna, I feel so sad for you. Did you check your SG?
    Am I getting loopy, didn't Tom usually ship in a styrofoam lined box? It is snowing here, never got above freezing today.

11. SabrinaR

I know what happened to the SG! I cant believe I didn’t think of it before.

When I get my water (filtered ocean water) in the summer the SG is always low 1.019-1.020 but in the winter it goes up from the cold to reef expectable at 1.024-1.025. The cold and lack of insulation is why the SG went up. You can test it in the freezer/fridge.

12. Lmecher

Really?? I didn't know that. However aI did not check it right away, the bag had been floating in my tank for 1/2 an hour before I checked it. I think the temp had to come up quite a bit by then. I have a question...If the SG goes up as the temp goes down, does it go back down as it warms? I smell a science experiment : )

13. SabrinaR

I think so. But I am not sure... All I do know for sure is my water is pulled straight from the ocean then filtered. All summer long I have to add seachem reef salt to get the SG up because its ALWAYS (never an exception) low at 1.019. When the temp here got in the 80s out side all of a sudden the SG was 1.024 and I know Tom keeps his tanks at 1.026. I remember from when I got my first octo from him.

14. SabrinaR

I am trying to research it out now... there is something about cold water being more dense but nothing concret yet to share.

15. Green_Tree

Green_Tree O. vulgaris Registered

hmmm. I hate to rain on anyone parade but aren't the manual specific gravity meters we use calibrated at a certain temperature just for that reason that waters density increases and decreases with temperature? If that's so then the water may not actually have a higher concentration of dissolved materials but the meter may just be reading incorrectly because of the temperature and density of the water? Im not sure and im no expert just wanted to throw that out there.

16. Lmecher

When I checked the water in the shipping bag, it had already been floating in the tank for 1/2 hour so It is safe to say it was well with in the range to give an accurate reading. I rechecked every 15- 20 minutes there after and watched it slowly lower and continued until it was at 1.025.

17. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I'm really sorry your octopus didn't make it.:angelpus:

It's standard to ship in a styrofoam container, which helps keep the temperature steady. Sometimes you're charged extra for this I would also imagine that temperature is more of an issue for a tropical species than for a bimac.

For those of you thinking of ordering an octo this winter, you would do well to have a phone conversation with the seller about the shipping.

Nancy

18. Lmecher

Yes Nancy,
    A few extra dollars for proper insulation will be money well spent.

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. My heavy heart feels much lighter because of you.

19. Cephdoc

Cephdoc Vampyroteuthis Registered

Lmecher.. Im sorry to read about this octopus.. Sad story. I was wondering if you are going to try again? :) I think you should if still interested! If you mentioned something about it already i missed it so sorry.. Anyways how was the serice at this "tomscaribbean"? I have never heard of it. Is it just Tomscaribbean.com? And do they have a regular abundance of them? Thanks and sorry again :(

20. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Looking at the arm to mantle ratio, this little guy has been putting all his arms in unsafe places. I had to look several times to be sure on species because the arm to mantle ratio was way off for briareus (the color looks quite normal though).

We can only guess on why they don't make shipping but I would pretty much discount the shipping and lean toward the cold being the most likely issue. I have only lost one the day it arrived and it was routed through a blizzard and extreme cold so I am more than a little bias toward this being the likely answer. Tom has always used sheets of styrofoam to line the boxes as far as I can remember so I don't know what's up with that. He may have someone new helping him with shipping so be sure you bring this to his attention.