• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Grimpoteuthis the 'Dumbo Octopus' - The Future of Things

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
That article describes Grimpoteuthis as both benthic and pelagic. Oops.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Well, it does get off the bottom every now and again :wink:

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
Cirroteuthis is the same. It is found near the bottom (basically just skimming the bottom) but since it doesn't crawl so much as hover, it's considered pelagic. I think I've also seen it referred to as abyssal-pelagic.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
In this case I think it is the writer not knowing what the terms mean and taking info from other write-ups but Kevin made me lookup yet another word :hmm:.

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Benthopelagic works for me, as it makes it clear that this animal spends its time both on the seabed (benthic) and actively moving through the water column (pelagic). Saying both at different times throughout article makes the author sound like he or she didn't check definitions.

I have always thought of Grimpoteuthis as pelagic, but then again, yinz know a lot more about the abyss than I (pardon the Pittsburgh talk).

Members online

No members online now.