Grimalditeuthis

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Grimalditeuthis bonplandi is the only member of this genus. It lacks suckers on its clubs. It has a heart shaped flotation device on its tail, which appears like a second fin (however, it is not). No known common names. The species appears to be found globally. The adult size appears unknown. Info at: Grimalditeuthis bonplandi

Attachments

• conv_305419.jpg
    conv_305419.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 190
I just shared this with a friend of mine with the last name "Grimaldi." I must say, I'm a wee bit jealous. I with there was a squid that shared my last name! This is a bizarre one for sure!

I don't think I deserve to have any creature named after me :boohoo: not that I wouldn't love to have a a VanReenenteuthis. It doesn't have such a great ring to it like Tonmoteuthis does.

Is there a Kuboderateuthis? Is O. shea just a coincidence? :wink:

MBARI video with some nice close-up shots and a good look at the crazy "baby squid" tentacle lure

More MBARI with the beginning footage showing both tentacles in apparent use as fishing lures

While you are looking, O. or S. monti montyi montiteuthis or a similar find would be special to locate.

I DO have a seahorse: H. denise but no O. denisei :biggrin2:

D, you actually need "denisae" as you're a woman. :wink: I'm still looking out for "aaroni" and "heatherae" as well...

Warning: :feet: Actually Aaron has a lovely protozoan trypanosome, T. evansi, if he uses his fake last name, and a shearwater, Puffinus boydi, if he uses his real one. He will be pleased no doubt that I have found this out while I'm supposed to be editing the discussion of one of his manuscripts. Heather, no luck so far I'm afraid!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back