• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Grey Hair Algae in Sand

My tank has this grey hair algae growing in my sand. I will mix up the sand and then in with in a day it has growin back. Does any know what this is? Also how do i fix it? In one of the pics you can see the hair part of it.

Attachments

• conv_303681.jpg
    conv_303681.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 125
  • conv_303682.jpg
    conv_303682.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_303683.jpg
    conv_303683.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 117
If your tank is fairly new, this will often go away within a few weeks. However, if it persists, I would recommend a phosphate reactor using GFO. Bulk Reef Supply has some good deals on them, they're fairly inexpensive. It won't eliminate the algae, but it will make a significant dent in it.

Hmmm, weird. I can't say I've personally experienced it, but have had hair algae issues in the past. Things that I've found really helpful for controlling it are: Strong water flow near the bottom to prevent accumulation of detritus
Eliminating anything made of steel near the tank (a little iron goes a long way)
Growing macroalgae to compete for nutrients
Feeding less......or filtering more

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back