Grey Hair Algae in Sand

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by bluespotocto, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

My tank has this grey hair algae growing in my sand. I will mix up the sand and then in with in a day it has growin back. Does any know what this is? Also how do i fix it? In one of the pics you can see the hair part of it.

Attached Files:

2. bluespotocto

So has any one ever seen this? Also i swept the sand around yesterday and it was within 24 hours!!!! I HATE ALGAE!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad::banghead::mad:

3. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

If your tank is fairly new, this will often go away within a few weeks. However, if it persists, I would recommend a phosphate reactor using GFO. Bulk Reef Supply has some good deals on them, they're fairly inexpensive. It won't eliminate the algae, but it will make a significant dent in it.

4. bluespotocto

My tank is about 1 and a half years old. I have phosphate reactor on it. Has any one even seen this kind of algae before?

5. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

Hmmm, weird. I can't say I've personally experienced it, but have had hair algae issues in the past. Things that I've found really helpful for controlling it are: Strong water flow near the bottom to prevent accumulation of detritus
    Eliminating anything made of steel near the tank (a little iron goes a long way)
    Growing macroalgae to compete for nutrients
    Feeding less......or filtering more

6. bluespotocto

Wait are you saying if i put some iron in the tank it would help? Also i got a ton of hermits and snails to help out. Also they can be food if she wants them to be.