Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shepmoon, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Shepmoon

Shepmoon Cuttlefish Registered

Hello all! I've been monitoring the site for sometime (mainly watching for news of the first sighting of an architeuthis in the wild!), but decided I should join to post a little something I came across today. There was a recent deep-sea expedition sponsored by an agency in New Zealand, and one of the animals on display at the expedition website is a Jewel Squid (Histioteuthis sp.). The direct URL is http://www.oceans.gov.au/norfanz/CreatureFeature.htm.

Enjoy, and I look forward to many more interesting things on this site. Not LEAST of which will be the Architeuthis sighting!!! Fingers crossed!

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Welcome Shepmoon, and thanks for the link! That's quite an interesting description of Histioteuthis.

3. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Shepmoon,

Welcome to TONMO. In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a very live, very upset Histioteuthis over at the "Squid ID" thread (Physiology & Biology).

So, you've been "monitoring" TONMO? Sounds vaguely Federal. Hope we're not in trouble.

:goofysca:

Clem

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Re: Greetings!

Now there's a coincidence!

It's been remarkably quiet on the Architeuthis front for the past 8 months; perhaps we'll hear of some interesting discoveries in the next 8 weeks (no, we've got nothing up our sleeves - it's just that time of the year when they could be sighted).

5. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Minnesotan ceph-lovers of the world unite!!!

:welcome:

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I actually grew up in Golden Valley...near Edina. Lots of pretty scenery there...and good fishing!
    Welcome to Tonmo!
    Greg

7. Shepmoon

Shepmoon Cuttlefish Registered

Thanks, thanks, and thanks one and all! And no, Clem, Tonmo is not in trouble from the feds...at least as far as *I'm* concerned. :smile2:

*wavin' hi to fellow Minnesotans*

Shep

8. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Wow... me mum's from Golden Valley... [Twilight Zone music]

:cyclops:

9. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Hells Bells...we could be related!!!! :lol: Golden Valley is a small town...it was a great place to grow up though...lots of creeks (cricks?) and crayfish...oh yeah, and leeches. yikes! (clem, you wouldn't have liked 'em...too much like little black jellyfish)
    Does she remember Ewald Dairy??? That was our family business for 5 decades...right out of Golden Valley!
    Greg

10. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

squiddy

hey, speaking of sightings in the wild.... did you hear about one supposedly latching onto the trimaran Geronimo while it was sailing an around the world race. The Jules Vern Around the World race as a matter of fact

11. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hi Fluffysquid.

I'm afraid the whole Jules Verne Trophy story turned out to be a hoax, I'm afraid. There was some discussion of the incident at this link on this site if you are interested:

News: Giant Squid Attacks French Boat

Hope you have fun here!

Phil

12. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

Phil-

Thats what i figured. Too big of a coincidence. And no photographs of the "incident". Thats why i said it "supposedly" grabbed the trimaran. Nice to see that the hoax has come out finally though. I haven't been watching the news to see.