Greetings

B Love

Hatchling
Registered
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm 27, living in Connecticut, and plan on owning an octo 6-12 months from now in my 230 gal tank.
Im a dog trainer and have two dobermans and am adding a bull terrier and a dogo Argentino in the next month. I'm clearly insane, I know
That being said, ive been reading my head off and right now I'm looking for more general info and making sure I do as little trial-by-error as possible when we eventually get the critter.

:welcome: @B Love !
While you are reading through the tons of material on the site, I will point you to two threads in the Octopus Care forum (everything in there is likely to interest you, particularly the top yellow stickies) for starters:
Posts with Info for New Octo Keepers contains a set of topics with links to keeper discussions.
Tankmates - What WOrks and What Doesn't Contains both links and discussion about what has been good and bad ideas for things to add to an octo tank.

:welcome: @B Love !
While you are reading through the tons of material on the site, I will point you to two threads in the Octopus Care forum (everything in there is likely to interest you, particularly the top yellow stickies) for starters:
Posts with Info for New Octo Keepers contains a set of topics with links to keeper discussions.
Tankmates - What WOrks and What Doesn't Contains both links and discussion about what has been good and bad ideas for things to add to an octo tank.

Maybe you can point me in the right direction for feeding instructions. I understand types of food and am already looking at sourcing crabs and shrimp and won't touch feeder fish, but is there a general guideline for how much to feed and how often? I just haven't found that yet. Thanks!

Quantity and how often have differing opinions as well as changing over the lifecycle. Pretty much everyone agrees that they should be allowed to eat until they are no longer hungry during the feeding. Some people feed daily, others skip a day and sometimes two between feedings. I usually have warm water species and feed them daily with one day of fast after they are adults.

I suggest with starting with food that is about eye sized (especially if you are trying to encourage dead food like table shrimp). Once the smaller food is accepted, gradually increase the size until food is eaten but there are leftovers. To encourage eating dead food, use a feeding stick (bamboo skewers from the grocery store work well) and gently touch the food to the suckers as close to the mouth as you can access without frightening the animal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back