Greetings

phillip

Hatchling
Registered
hello everyone my name is phil. im 20 years old and am not sure i can afford to keep an octopus :sad:. i am interested in the two-spot Octopus bimaculoides. i have many questions and have (on the way) a copy of Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium by Colin Dunlop who i believe is associated with this site. i am very interested in any links, literature, or any information of any kind about Cephalopods. please send me in there direction.

Also i run a gift shop and have room for a 100 to 200 gallon aquarium. although i wish to keep an octopus at home perhaps i could attract customers while enjoying having an octopus. what im asking is would to much foot traffic, attention, and of course the uncontrollable tank tapping my customers will surly do cause stress and be a negative environment for my little guy?

:welcome:

That's a great book, in fact both authors Nancy and Colin are staff members here.
I am not positive but from what I hear it is very hard to come by a bimac unless you catch one yourself. Do you have a saltwater aquarium now?

I have absolutely no equipment yet. I'm just beginning to learn more information to truly decide if i should do this. Catching an octopus though a future ambition is out of the question for my first octopus. Perhaps someone here can capture one for me but that would require us to transport it ourselves. If a bimac is unobtainable then what would be your recommendation for my first.

:welcome: Phillip, there appears to be a reasonable number of caribbean species in the trade, but preference goes to captive bred. Alas there is no captive breeding effort currently that I know of, but please correct me if I'm wrong fellow TONMO'ers. Caribbean likely would be briareus or filosus.

Since you have not kept a saltwater tank, my first suggestion is to start one at home and learn to maintain it where it won't be a burden on your work time. Saltwater aquariums are 500% more demanding than most freshwater tanks (as well as messy) and getting acclimated to the amount of work and discovering a routine that is suitable to your lifestyle takes some adjustment. The three month cycle time will help give you a feel for if you think it would be suitable for the store environment.

:welcome: to TONMO! Sounds like you're on the right track, hopefully the book will get you going pretty well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back