Greetings from italy

Hi at all forum members..i'm Antonio from italy. I'm phd student at University of Sannio ( near Naples)..The subject of my study is the central nervous system of Octopus vulgaris. I hope to find people with same interest on this forum :smile: cordial greetings,

ADM

Inviato dal mio GT-P7500 con Tapatalk 2

Pleasd DO keep a a journal with us on what you find interesting about the animal that you can share. Your on-going research work might fit nicely in a blog (I think you have to be a supporter to create one) but keeping us informed in a thread on our Physiology and Biology forum would be great too!

Hey guy..i work on the transcriptome of the central nervous system. My interests are neuropeptides involved in metabolism and reproduction. I am particularly interested to molecules that are involved in the behavioral shift between growth phase and reproductive phase. I'm also interesting in evolution of the phenomena of learning and memory. For these studies, octopuses are exceptional models. :smile:

I am particularly interested to molecules that are involved in the behavioral shift between growth phase and reproductive phase.
Speaking for keepers (those of us that keep octopuses as pets) anything you can report in a layman's thought that could impact the slow down of this change would be hugely beneficial. For animals kept as pets, extending the longevity by slowing maturation would be a huge benefit.

As a personal asside, I have observed something that I would love for a researcher to experiment with if it could be fit into the schedule. What I THINK I have seen shows where there is an interest in learning (specifically, when they decide to experiment with touching their human caretakers) the octopus will experiment with the keeper for up to 2 hours and clearly understands the desired behavior (explicitly, going to the rocks will cause the hand to be removed from the tank). THEN they seem to forget for roughly 3 to 4 days. THEN they seem to remember there after. I have seen it often enough to think it has something to do with long term memory processing that is quite different from our own an may explain some of the frustrations scientists have with working with octopuses.

DWhatley;193162 said:
Pleasd DO keep a a journal with us on what you find interesting about the animal that you can share. Your on-going research work might fit nicely in a blog (I think you have to be a supporter to create one) but keeping us informed in a thread on our Physiology and Biology forum would be great too!

Ok :smile: I will provide in the coming days. Now in Italy is very late and I'm going to bed. But as soon as I have time, I will put into practice your good idea. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back