Greetings from Hong Kong (dwarf cuttlefish keeper)

Hi guys, I've been lurking in the tonmo forums for about 5 months now since I got my first fish tank. Since I've got severe allergies with cats and dogs, basically my only option was fish keeping. My brother gave me his old eheim 2222 filter and things started from there!
I went out and bought a tank which measures 20"x12"x14" which I believe to be around less than 5 gallons? Bought some live rock and let them chill in the tank for a month before I added corals, sponges and my first dwarf cuttlefishes named scud 1 and scud 2. Currently, Scud 1&2 share the tank with a squirrel fish, a grouper, a mandarin fish, a damsel fish and a starfish. (One of my live rocks turned out to be an oyster the size of a softball hahahaha) + 6 turbo snails.
I’ve been reading everywhere people have huge tanks to keep cephs. I dunno if I’m lucky or what but things have been going on pretty well in my tank. I don’t have any crazy equipment or water testers either. All I got is a spectrometer, a heater, filter and some LED lights. I’ve only changed the water twice and the tank is crystal clear bar the cuttlefish turd that floats around before the damsel fish eats it.
On Dec 26th, I noticed black purple eggs suspended on a piece of live rock, my brother helped me isolate them into a floating satellite box. On Jan. 3rd, Scud 2 which is the female began laying eggs again which I manage to capture on video. It’s now been 2 weeks and Scud 2 hasn’t been eating at all this week. I’m kinda worried about her as these past 5 months I’ve manage to build a relationship with my cuttlefish and their tank mates. Nothing ever fights and they are very interactive. Anyhow, I hope there are other readers on Tonmo that live in Hong Kong. Would love to hear some of your experiences.

Cheers!
Jay

Jay,
A 15 gallon tank is really too small for what you are trying to keep. You may get away with it for awhile but as the animals grow you will start losing them.

DWhatley;186115 said:
Jay,
A 15 gallon tank is really too small for what you are trying to keep. You may get away with it for awhile but as the animals grow you will start losing them.

Hi there DWhatley, I would like to get a larger tank at some point. Hong Kong is really a small place with 7 million people. In terms of scale, I think my fishes and a cuttlefish have the better end of the deal more than me! lol.

Last night checked out the cuttlefish eggs again to see how they're doing. I counted 27 eggs, some are beginning to swell and expand, some are wrinkled... How many on average will actually make it till they hatch? I may need to culture/cycle a tank asap to accommodate these new born cuttles.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back