Greetings from an Arizona researcher

autumnmoore

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all!

My name is Autumn and I am a senior at Arizona State University studying animal behavior and physiology. My interests in research revolve around cephalopod coloration. I know, I know; I am in the wrong state! :smile: I am hoping to move to WA for my graduate studies. I am currently doing research under IMSD grant funding on the carotenoid accumulations in varying different species of squid.
My initial and direct reason for my introduction is to ask for any assistance fellow cephalopod researchers may be able to offer. In order to continue to conduct my research, I need more specimen. I have been purchasing dead squid from the Chinese markets in town, but I need a larger variation in species. Since the effects of formaldehyde on carotenoids and other pigments are poorly studied, this is not my ideal outlet-- although I have ordered some dissection squid through Carolina. I further underline my needs; I am looking for fresh, dead, non-preserved squid. If anyone has trusted websites through which to obtain squid, or has any direct access (say, to all of the recently deceased Humboldt that are taunting me off the beaches of California) and would be able to work with me, I would more than greatly appreciate it.

Thank you! I look forward to talking with everyone along the way!

Autumn Moore

Hi Autumn!

Welcome to Tonmo! I'm afraid I don't know of any websites in which you could get fresh squid (although I'm sure SOMETHING exists). I'm afraid that fresh specimens I receive are from the fishermen bycatch and research cruises from science teams. If you don't have access to these, you may struggle finding the variety you are looking for.
Sometimes you have to be willing to do a bit of traveling to get what you are looking for (I have a collegue who drove across Canada in order to get the fresh specimens she wanted... that's commitment!).

I do wish you all the best in your research, and I hope that you can find some more species, or at least some helpful advice from other members!

Once again, Welcome!

~GPO

Hi Autumn, welcome to tonmo from a fellow researcher! (although I am a neuro researcher rather than chromatophore/coloration.

Something that might help is if you post a 'wishlist' of species you need for all of us to look at. What species are the market squids you are getting, and what species would suit you best for your remaining samples? I don't know how probable it is that you will find what you're looking for, but go ahead and tell us anyway.

The only ones I can get my hands on (and then, only at certain times of the year, starting around May), is Loligo pealeii at the MBL in Massachusetts.

What's your timeframe? If you need fresh specimens that will be somewhat season-dependent. Do you have budget for purchase and shipping?

Good luck!

PS - I (and I'm sure, many others) would be interested to hear a little more about your research, if you're willing to share?

Hi Autumn. I might be able to help you. On Tonmo I go by Teacher Kim. I am a preschool teacher that happens to have a live octopus in my classroom! I am always willing to help young people achieve their goals, if possible. I happen to live in Monterey, CA. I have never shipped dead anything before, lol, but if the cost isn't too much, I would be happy to pick you up some fresh squid from our local warf and send it to you. I just recieved a shipment of fiddler crabs and will hold onto the box, etc. just in case this would help you out. Let me know. :smile: T Kim

The Chinese markets are great for dead squid, but they do have the connections to acquire live squid as well. Partner with a Chinese speaking student and ask for their sources, they may be your best best in Tempe. The market on University and Kolb is probably the best as they deal in volume and many vendors.

Hi Robyn!

Ideally, I am looking for Loligo pealeii, Euprymna scolopes, Doryteuthis opalescens. However, I am open to any species if I can receive 5-10 samples. What I am currently looking at is carotenoid levels in teuthid species. Extensive analysis of carotenoid pigmentation accumulation in squid has not been completed in the last 20-30 years. I hope to find that carotenoid values, across varying species of squid, are found in a decent concentration within their tissues such as eyes, ink, liver, beak, and stomach. I am looking to have all of the specimen I need by the end of March, since I will be wrapping up my project here at ASU. With any luck, though, I will be able to continue this research throughout my graduate work as well.

Thank you for your response and your willingness to help Robyn! Let me know if I can provide any further information.

Hello Teacher Kim!

Would you happen to know what species you have access to? I would be forever grateful if you would be able to ship me some specimen! The shipping costs shouldn't be too much, since I would only need half a dozen or so. Please let me know what further information you can provide, or what additional information you might need. Thank you for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back