greetings from alaska

emilee

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi, my name is Emilee and I've been a tonmo member for a while, I just never got around to introducing myself. Last winter I had the opportunity to go sailing in the pacific and investigate different morphisms of Ommastrephidae squid, and made it down to the Cephalopod International Advisory Council Symposium in Hobart, Tasmania in Feb 2006. Right now I'm still working on getting my bachelors in biology from the U of Alaska Anchorage, where we have a young cuttlefish, Garry, sent to us by the National Resource Center for Cephalopods. He's doing great and eating well. Here's a link to a video of what happened when we mistakenly added a blenny to his environment...

http://www.youtube.com/tboneflip

Emilee

:welcome:

Wow, another CIACer... if we're not careful, we might start becoming respectable on accounts of all the :grad: around here...

Not saying that we're not respectable now tony... :smile:

:welcome: What kind of cuttlefish is that? Did you remove the blenny? Poor little blenny... You might want to consider removing the damsel (Dory). They can be aggressive and territorial. Even if you aren't having any problems now, you could in the future.

Glad you decided to introduce yourself!

:welcome: (again, 'cause I kinda did that on your "octopus wanted" thread)

:welcome: From me also! Sailing...That sounds like an awesome experience! And your video, the blenny looked like some kind of jawfish? Your cuttle sure had "high hopes" there. Did he end up getting him?

I'm pretty sure Garry's a Sepia officinalis. The NRCC only breeds two species of cuttlefish, and they were out of the Sepia pheronis when we placed the order. I haven't seen him give himself that distinctive striped pattern they seem to have, but that may have more to do with his surroundings. He ended up killing the blenny, but not eating him. Which made me feel really sad and guilty. I knew it was a risk putting him in there, and it ended up being a mistake. It's a good idea to take Dori, the other fish out too. Right now they don't cross paths a lot, because Garry sticks more to the bottom of the tank, while she freely swims.

But, Garry is eating extremely well, even though he shifted a little bit between dead and live food. Right now we're feeding him by putting a small piece of shrimp on the end of a stick and just sticking it in the water. Before the incident with the blenny, you would have to put it right in front of him, and he'd grab it with his arms. Now, you just barely put it in the water, and he swims right over to it and attacks it with his tentacles. Which I think is good. He's a lot more excited about eating now.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my picture to show up when I post things? I put one on, but it doesn't seem to show up.

Emilee

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back