Greetings and salutations...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Spoony, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Spoony

Spoony Larval Mass Registered

hello to all...
    i joined because i am quite intrigued by octopi ever since i seen an episode on the learning channel about the intelligence of this creature. one was kept in a lab in a plexiglass tank (with no lid) and across the room in another plexiglass tank were crabs. well every morning when the workers went in all the crabs were missing. so someone kept watch and found out the octopus was climbing out of its tank and slithered across the floor to the tank were the crabs were kept and climbed up, ate them, then slithered back down and went back into its own tank again. there were many other tanks in this room, but the octopus remebered where its tank was and where the crab tank was (even from the ground, it knew where the crab tank was located). so ever since then ive been trying to find out as much info i can on them and to learn all about them. maybe some day i will own one myself. for now, i will enjoy them from a far. :)

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Greetings! This is a familiar story, so you're in good company! Glad you found us, please, make yourself at home. :)

3. Spoony

yes, im very glad i stumbled upon this site from google. it looks great with lots of information and i think its super cool that one of the members/moderators is steve o'shea who is going on that expedition next year.. i plan to stick around :D

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Me too (stick around that is). We'll post away online and let you know how things are developing/progressing (or not). Things are presently, certainly going to heat up.
    Ciao
    O

5. Spoony

will there be a separate forum for this?

6. Steve O'Shea

Now there's an interesting suggestion; probably no need for a separate forum though - we'll just post away as we have in Physiology & Biology, or if things get way out of hand, in Culture and Entertainment.

7. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

knowing this site, its a distinct possibility :)

8. atenea

atenea Larval Mass Registered

Hi!!
    I´m also very interested in octopus´s learning cappacity.
    Any help...?
    Tnxs.

Atenea.

9. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

...where you will be greeted by a wiry bouncer with a long memory and no tolerance for Andy Williams.

Welcome to TONMO, Spoony.

Clem

10. Steve O'Shea

Prerequisites for posting on Physiology, Biology, Research and Discovery are the following.

You must have and listen regularly to:
    Neil Diamond - I am I said
    Jose Feliciano - Hey Jude
    Ray Stevens - Om
    Harry Nilsson - Coconut
    John Denver - Annie's song
    Bare Naked Ladies - If I had $1000,000
    Elvis - American Trilogy
    Andy Williams - Yesterday when I was young
    ELO - Don't walk away
    Leo Sayer - Orchard Road

Otherwise feel free to corrupt Clem's forum :mrgreen:

.... and no, we're not playing 6 degrees to somethingorother

11. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hmm. I'm sentimental about Nilsson's "The Point," and ELO did make for excellent roller-skating music.

Sorry, Spoony. This tangent is entirely my fault.

:oops:

12. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Ahem... Welcome to Tonmo, Spoony! I do not believe in John Denver, nor any of his incarnations, and refuse to do so, but I am still allowed onto the site, so no worries there!
    The more you will read from all of the ceph keepers out there in Tonmoland, the more you will be intrigued...it is an educational spiral of sorts, leading to the eventual tank setups in your house...
    Congrats on finding us, and welcome again.
    Greg

P.S. in reference to elo and rollerskating...I really had tried to forget that movie with Olivia Neutron Bomb. Make the pain go away, please!

13. atenea

atenea Larval Mass Registered

Hi!

Hi, I´m new in here, i´d like to know about the way it works... i´m not a fan computer anyway :| ...
    so, the topic i wanna learn the most is octopuses´ learning capacity, and will appreciate any hint about where to find something, etc.

Tnx a lot... :)

14. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

You are embarking on a quest there...some research has been done, but in a limited way, on the learning capabilities of octos...
    In here, though, you will see a lot of photos and a lot of discussion of learned behaviours in cephs, and perhaps you could come up with some experiments of your own, that we could try in our tanks???
    Greg