Greetings and salutations and such

Hello,

I'm new to TONMO but not necessarily to cephs in general. In high school and college I kept two different bimacs successfully. That was several years ago and I have not been keeping tanks the last five years, mainly because of moving around and careers and so forth.
But I'm recently married and have settled down quite a bit and have been mulling over starting up a new tank. From lurking around and reading here it seems like quite a lot has happened in the intervening time since I last kept cephalopods--like cuttlefish being semi-available and captive bred.
So anyways, I'm here, I'm introducing myself--name's Ethan--and I'm interested in talking about any of this stuff. It looks like if I want some bandensis I should start with 55 gallons or more. I've got some tanks (non copper treated tanks!) in the basement...

--Ethan

:welcome: Ethan. Yeah, getting married kind of tends to make you settle down a little bit. One question. Is your wife aware of the addictive nature of cephalopods? :sagrin:

hi everybody im new. Im in college now but i live with my parents. I really want an octopus and have wanted one for quite some time. unfortunately i am clueless as to how to what kind i should get. I want a small octo but not sooo small. any help?

:welcome: panyr90! There are a lot of things you should know before you venture into octopus keeping, and fortunately, we have lots of help for you. At the top of the front page there is a heading saying articles. Start by reading that, which will probably take you a while because there's a lot there. It will tell you much of what you will need to know. If there are still questions that come to mind, we have a lot of very experienced people here who will be glad to help you. If you have never had an aquarium, salt water is not the easiest way to go, but if you have kept a salt water tank before you will have some idea of what is involved in the process. Octopus are expensive, not just for the original set up costs, although that is considerable, but unless you live near enough to the ocean to be able to catch your own food you will have to have live food shipped to you on a regular basis. That means lots of $$$$$! Enjoy your research and welcome to the world of ceph heads.

sorseress;129379 said:
:welcome: Ethan. Yeah, getting married kind of tends to make you settle down a little bit. One question. Is your wife aware of the addictive nature of cephalopods? :sagrin:

Yeah, she knows me pretty well:smile: actually we got married at our local zoo. No cephs there, but she knew what she was getting into.

That's VERY good. Hopefully she shares your interest in all things ceph. It can be contagious. My husband has not caught the bug, but I got it from my son years ago. I have come to the conclusion that it's incurable.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back