Greenpeace are at it again!

For any and all of you who have missed out on reading "the Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abbey...please do so!!!!

I'll say it again...Bloody Fishermen...

greg

'CLAPTRAP' SUBSTANTIATED WITH CONCRETE EVIDENCE

Sunday, 12 June 2005: Last week Amaltal director Andrew Talley called Greenpeace assertions "unsubstantiated claptrap". Today, photos and footage taken by the Rainbow Warrior crew prove him and others supporting bottom trawling wrong.

Greenpeace crew from the Rainbow Warrior today captured images of endangered black and red corals being hauled aboard a New Zealand bottom trawler in international waters near Norfolk Island.

"Again and again, we have caught the bottom trawling industry red-handed with the evidence of deep sea destruction in their nets. How many more pictures of clearfelled coral forests do governments need to see before they recognise that a moratorium on bottom trawling in international waters is urgently needed?" said Carmen Gravatt, Greenpeace oceans campaigner.

"Fishing industry leaders scraped the bottom of the barrel last week when they claimed bottom trawl nets didn't touch the sea floor. Well, once again we've got the proof," said Gravatt. "We'd like to see the fishing industry swallow their pride, realise that bottom trawling is not sustainable and support our calls for a UN moratorium on bottom trawling in international waters".

The nets of the Waipori, owned by the Tasman Pacific company, seemed to have few fish but many pieces of the corals. Greenpeace filmed a range of bottom dwelling species that were also in the haul of the New Zealand vessel, including a rare crab (Paralomis cf. yaldwyni).

The New Zealand Government delegation at last week's UN meeting on oceans got the message and made strong moves to get governments globally to take responsibility for the destruction of bottom trawling in international waters.

The 2003 scientific NORFANZ expedition surveyed throughout this region and identified it as a 'biodiversity hotspot'. It has been described as a marine 'Jurassic Park' - with ancient species that are the tuatara of the sea, as old as dinosaurs.

The images were taken on the West Norfolk Ridge, just over 200 miles off the coast of northern New Zealand.

NB Although the smaller corals looks red, it is the skeleton of the coral that is black. The large red coral is a centuries-old gorgonian tree coral.

CONTACTS:

Carmen Gravatt, Greenpeace New Zealand campaigner on board Rainbow Warrior on 00872 1302412 or 00872 324 453 510
Erin Farley, Greenpeace New Zealand communications officer on board Rainbow Warrior - 00872 1302412 or 00872 324 453 510

Dean Baigent-Mercer communications officer in Auckland 021 790 817

:mad:

That fisher with the crab looks so pleased with himself :mad:

I always remember seeing a NIWA staff member with a bit (OK a tree) of Bubblegum coral that had been hauled up by a trawler, it was just so sickening.

Surely even from the point of view of the fishers this can't really be economically viable? (not counting thefact that these things are often nursery areas for fish) but getting a net full of coral instead of fish can't really be what they're after plus nets get damaged or lost on corals........................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I was talking to one of our local fishers (admittedly small boat owner) the other day and he was commenting that bottom trawling was a waste of time!!! (& he supports the environmental aspects of not bottom trawling........he's a rare species himeself tho'). He was helping us show children the equipment on our research vessel and was telling the children that the echosounder was great for helping you avoid things like bryozoan colonies and in deeper water things like coral and sponges!!!!!! so not all fishers are tarred with the same brush!

Cheers

J

reminds me of poeple denying that concentation camps existed in WWII and the photos about the Holocuast were faked...This is a total disgrace to humanity and that Ebola-Shiva Virus is starting to actually sound good.

Thanks Steve for the posts! I really miss not being able to read your NZ newspapers (so much better than our Canadian ones). Freakin' unbelievable! Makes me proud to know you's guys, and excited to get out East (Halifax/university) and see if I can some how help the cause. No doubt Canada doesn't have one of the most angelic fishing industries...sigh, enough to make a guy depressed.

Well, just gotta keep a straight posture, stay true to the cause, and some time some one will listen.

Cheers,
Jesse

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back