GPO fun

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
We are training a female GPO to come to a 'feeding' area. She came up and while playing/trying to eat my squid smelly hand she squirted me in the face several time. Super fun!

:rainbow:Color me envious!

I might be interesting (if it is within the aquarium's husbantry codes) to see if a gentle petting of the mantle is well received. I have seen this in both my male two spots and with one mercatoris (Cousteau also reported that the female diver they worked with in Seattle had a gentle touch that would coax the GPO's easily for phtographing). Why they found it positive, I can't say but the hummelinckies returned over and over for light petting (barely touching). With OhToo we are just beginning and he will hem and haw for quite awhile before coming up to my hand but then either stays for petting or "pets himself" by moving against my hand or fingers. Octane expected me to offer my hand (no food smell!) nightly for the same purpose.

Thales;126730 said:
Hey D,

She did let me pet her mantle and between her eyes.

I wonder if they have any kind of a natural relationship with some type of cleaner critter. Nancy has remarked that Ollie liked to be petted similarly as well. Others have also noted that they like to sit in water streams (like the output of a powerhead) and I keep thinking there is something common here. Nothing earth shattering but interesting.

Paradox;126764 said:
Nice! Are you ever there on weekends?

Starting next week I will be there Sunday through Thursday.
For anyone in the area, let me know if you are coming so I can try to arrange free time to show you around!

That's awesome, I'm way jealous! How are you "training" her? The only thing my octos ever squirt at me was poop (I know the Once-ler does this on purpose!).

My last aculeatus liked to rub his mantle on my hand, the Once-ler isn't much for touching but absolutely spent time in the power head flow. It would be fun if your GPO liked to be pet!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back