I didn't think the actinics could be too bright

The actinics are (2) 18w NO tubes
The main lights is a 55 PC 10k bulb.

I'm looking into switching the (2) 18w bulbs to reds and
getting a 50/50 bulb for the PC bulb.

day 13 report

yesterday, I put a ghost shrimp in, Odo came out of hidding in 5 minutes,
and all the ligths were on. :biggrin2:

I'm hoping that soon she'll get more comfy and start coming out more often.

How long did your octopus take to stop hidding?

those power compact bulbs can be a bit harsh on octo eyes...switching the bulb might not be a bad idea...does your lfs carry caulerpa algae? You might want to put in some of that, gives them something to play with, and shades the tank a little too...
greg

Your octopus should spend a lot of time in his den, but peeking out. They are so good at concealing themselves that you may not even know your octo is there! Once person recently reported that it took him 1/2 hour to find his octo! You learn to scan the rocks, looking for a special outline, a tiny bit of movement - this is developing your "octopus eyes".

They do usually spend more time out as they get older, too.

Nancy

day 13 update,

changed the 10k PC bulb to a 50/50.
switched out the (2) 18" actinic with (2) 18" "red" bulbs

Those red bulbs sure do look cool, and I'm working
putting them on a switched outlet.

I've tried to add caulerpa, but my Urchin loves to carry it in it's spines.

"but my Urchin loves to carry it in it's spines"
hehehe...that sounds cool, any chance of some photos?

I'll get pics as soon as I save up enough for a camera.

one time I dropped a staple in the tank,
I searched for about an hour, digging up the sand and everything.
the next day, the urchin was carrying it around like a trophy.

what kinda urchin is it? My blue tuxedo urchin I have in the 90g does that, but the pencil urchin in the 30g doesn't. I think that the "greens-carrier" thing they do is sorta a "walking salad", 'cause the blue urchin seems to wrap himself up, sit down somewhere, and eat.

Cephkid said:
what kinda urchin is it? My blue tuxedo urchin I have in the 90g does that, but the pencil urchin in the 30g doesn't. I think that the "greens-carrier" thing they do is sorta a "walking salad", 'cause the blue urchin seems to wrap himself up, sit down somewhere, and eat.

It's a blue tuxedo

cthulhu77 said:
"but my Urchin loves to carry it in it's spines"
hehehe...that sounds cool, any chance of some photos?

This urchin behaviour is called "Hatting"...cos they carry stuff like a hat!!! It doesn't appear to be related to diet or camo at least not that I can see! our large urchins often carry one pebble! (the urchins can have a 20cm test diameter and the pebble will be about 1cm diameter.....not much of a disguise!)......'tis a mystery!!!!

J

day 14 update

urchin is still hatting, but I still can see it :wink:

Odo was out, in (new) full light.

I was sooooo excited, untill I noticed that one of the back arms seems
to have been chopped off and is about half the length of the others.
I gotta get a camera soon

Is that normal?
does that mean it's a male?
if not, will it grow back?

Hit a local walmart or osco...you can get disposable digitals now...until you get a mainframe job! Sounds like a great tank!
g

No, that's not normal. Do you have anything else in your tank (fish, for instance) that could have attackd your little octopus? Or a larger crab?

Nancy

Nancy said:
No, that's not normal. Do you have anything else in your tank (fish, for instance) that could have attackd your little octopus? Or a larger crab?

Nancy

I didn't think it was normal,

only other critters in the tank are
blue tuxedo urchin
chocolate chip star
and the pods

There are no power heads in the tank, no heater
for a

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back