Got my new Briareus!

It was still hanging on the wall with it's mouth on the water line so I tried feeding it some thawed silversides but it spit them out. I droped a hermit crab in it's mouth too but it just spit it out. If I throw in feeder crabs will it even go after them since it's been on the glass the whole time?

I've noticed little piles of rubble have been appearing all around the tank but I still havent seen it come off the glass yet. its still plastered to the tank in the same corner as usual. should I be worried by now?

runn3rb3an;133181 said:
It was still hanging on the wall with it's mouth on the water line so I tried feeding it some thawed silversides but it spit them out. I droped a hermit crab in it's mouth too but it just spit it out. If I throw in feeder crabs will it even go after them since it's been on the glass the whole time?

Fiddlers tend to be the universal octopus food. I'd just drop it in right next to the octopus, or touch it to the octopus and see if it grabs it.

Ill try the feeder crabs from my lfs before I order some fiddlers. I'm a little disappointed though, I expected to see at least some personality but its just been a blob on the glass for about 2 weeks now. I cant tell if I am doing something wrong or thats just how it is. Hopefully I will get more of a response from it when I try feeding it the crabs.

I added the feeder crabs on friday but he still hasnt touched them and as far as I can tell. I tried netting one and pushing the net under its tentacle a little so it could grab the crab but it just touched it a little and wouldnt try eating it. I now have live snails, a variety of hermit crabs, feeder shrimp, and now feeder crabs but Im pretty sure it hasnt eaten yet and it still hasnt moved from its place on the glass for almost 3 weeks. I dont know what to do at this point. any suggestions?

That is just strange. Have you tried playing with it? Give it various objects to manipulate like straws, feeding stick, bottles, ping pong balls, your fingers.

I have tried interacting with a feeder stick but it just ignores it whenever I touch him with it. I also tried putting crabs and shrimp in a bottle with a lightly screwed on cap but he ignored that too. he finally moved a little bit for the first time today. He went from the front to the back on the same side but is still at the waters edge.

What are your water parameters? If they are a little off, they can affect behaviour.

And have you read through our articles on octopus keeping
(click on aticles above)? Our book on Ceph Keeping would also give your more detailed information (available from Amazon.com on our home page). You'll learn more about ceph keeping and your octopus in this way.

Nancy

its just kinda stuck to the side wall of the tank at the top. not so much balled up. and yes I own the book and have read it many many times along with the articles haha. Ill get some pics up in a little bit.

How do his arms look? Loosely held, "corkscrewed" arms can be a sign of senescence. With his unwillingness to eat and lethargic behavior, he may be getting old...

I have been wondering if the behavior is common to a brooding female removed from her eggs. I seem to remember Roy (Neogonodactylus) having mentioned experimenting with longevity by removing brooding Blue Rings from their eggs (with no longevity impact) but I don't remember if he posted anything about the female's behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back