• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Got My First Octopus!!!

Not really yellow........LOL I think you are right about the brown octopus comment.....I'll take a few more pics and post them when I get them....thanks for all your help!

Don't want to jump to conclusions but if it turns out to be O. vulgaris it is going to very quickly outgrow your tank. The only way to tell is to post photos when it emerges. In the mean time, check out the photos of O. briareus and O. vulgaris in our journals.

Looks similar to mine.....wish he would come out so I can take a better pic.....tried a piece of shrimp a little while ago but he ignored it....

I have found it helpful with timid eaters to touch an arm with the shrimp if possible. One of two things will happen. It will grab onto it and eat or it will push it away. If it refuses today, try again tomorrow. Do you have any live food?

If you read my journal you will notice I upgraded to a 120 in order to accommodate him as he grew.

iAlex;172960 said:
It seems that there are a lot of them popping up at the moment. (Vulgaris)

Yes it really is interesting that O. vulgaris is showing up more then it ever has before. I think Linda was one of the first. :biggrin2: I think D is going to have to clean out that "seahorse/mantis shrimp" fish tank so she can get herself a vulgaris... I know shes been wanting one too.

Actually .... the 140's only concerned resident is Harry, my mandarin (Fidel, mantis, is in an 8 gallon and I don't keep seahorses any longer). I would like to redo the tank though and thought about trying to rescue the vulgaris that found its way into a nano but the shipping risks were too high and it was too far to drive. I've been in long debate about turning it into a ceph tank and could do that with minimal or major rework but the timing is not quite right. If this job becomes permenant, there is a higher likelyhood of sooner rather than later but there is another major octo project in-line first :biggrin2:

He had his first meal this morning!!!! I put a piece of shrimp down there (he's back in his PVC)....at first he didn't touch it, so I left it at the entrance of his PVC.....the current moved it slightly and he jumped all over it and pulled it into his PVC...he's eating right now....very happy!!!

That's great news. We have found just leaving food in the tank, unless live, they will not eat it. It is best if us use a feeding stick. You can use a wooden skewer or buy a plastic one at your LFS. I prefer the longer plastic because of the depth of my tanks.
I am really excited to see more!

Yes, I used a plastic feeding stick and waved it at the entrance of his PVC....I tried that for a minute or two, then laid it in the PVC entrance.

I have a 480gal saltwater tank at home with sharks and use the feeding stick with them all the time, so I just brought it up to work this morning.....guess I'll need to buy another one just for my octopus.

There are eggs hanging from the rock where the octopus was at yesterday.....the are about the size of rice and there are six of them.

I guess this means my octopus is about to die?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back