• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Got My First Octopus!!!

rcn

Blue Ring
Registered
My first octopus is in the tank!!!! Still in his/her shipping PVC but is breathing and is looking around......the guy at the LFS ordered it as a Common Caribbean...it's pretty small and right now is a brownish tan.

I'm psyched!!!!

Well, it hasn't came out of its PVC yet so it's hard to determine size, but I'd say the mantle is the size of a large grape. No pictures yet but I will post some as soon as I can.

If it is a dwarf the 55 gallon will be far to large for you to ever really see it. If its a merc then a red light at night will probably be the only way for you to view it. You might think about putting the octopus (and tube) in a critter keeper with the lid on slightly at an angle with a power head flowing water towards it gently just so you can get a firm idea on ID and so you can track feedings.

Where in Texas are you?

I came in to work this morning (the tank is at work) and the PVC was moved. He has now moved into the rocks but is in plain view. He's waving his tentacles around.....I would get a picture but I don't want to disturb him in the acclimation....maybe later today.

The mantle is about 2" long, bigger than I estimated yesterday.

I live in Abilene, about 330 miles away from you.

Took a couple of pics with my IPhone but they didn't turn out very well....will give you an idea though:
octo1.jpg

octo2.jpg

Ok thats good! Much better than I thought. From the pictures (while still hard to tell) I dont think thats a merc.

And YAY Abilene! My grandmother lived in Loraine and my uncle lives is Sweetwater! I love going up there though it has been years now. We still own the farm up there (we lease it out for the time being).

As soon as he comes out more, I'll get a better picture.....can you tell what kind of octopus he is from this pic?

Yep, Sweetwater is 42 miles straight west from me. So your farm is around Sweetwater or around Loraine?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back