Got my first Octo yesterday!

He likes hermit crabs

I took a small hermit crab from my reef tank (I have a zillion and a half) and placed it near the octo. It was VERY cool to watch, he was buried in the sand and balled up and then all of a sudden a thin arm snakes out across the sand and grabbed the hermit and pulled it towards the body of the octo.

Very cool.

He inked

This morning I came in and he was under a large rock. I carefully moved the rock but I guess that startled him and he inked. Not really a lot though. I changed the carbon in my filters and will do a water change. Anything else I should do?

Yup- it looks like the dwarf Octopus digueti...a really cool animal. It's nocturnal and a species that could be cultured at some point, We have a female in lab right now, so maybe if yours is a male we might be able to- you know- arrange for them to meet :wink:
You can tell if it's a male if you see a white groove along the back of the third right arm back from the eyes. The tip will be modified into a long blunt club- fairly obvious in this species.

Fresh pics for today:

octo4.jpg

octo5.jpg

Have you named him yet? I'd like to add the name to the List of Our Octopuses.

Also, I didn't notice you're in Denton, Texas - which LFS did you buy your octo from?

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back