got a new o. mercatoris.

k0mpresd

GPO
Registered
was supposed to be two new o. mercs. but one was doa. :frown:

edit: this little guy or girl does not seem to be scared of people at all. i put my fingers in the bag and it reached out for them and attempted to bite my finger. i could feel its beak pinching on my finger. oh, and dan (danthemarineman) said he would send me a replacement merc for the dead one.

here he/she is:

IMG_0875.JPG

It is better that he/she is not visible during the day. With my troups, the only time they stayed (an occassional appreance is different) out during the day was during the last week of their lives. I have theorized that their eyes start to fail and that the light no longer bothers them.

so this little guy finally seems to have eaten a meal tonight. might have been last night. but i believe it was tonight. i feel a lot better now. i was getting worried. i still have yet to see it out wondering around. its taken residence in a piece of rock, totally not visible without lifting up the rock.

dan was supposed to mail me a replacement merc yesterday. hopefully it shows tomorrow. hopefully they play nice together.

is it common for 2 animals to interact? i got home last night at about 4am. walked in the living room, and searched for the octos. i found them both on the glass on the side of the aquarium. they were basically intertwined. one was white in color and the other brown. they seemed calm and didnt seem to be having a dispute. :nyah: is it possible they were mating? or is this common behavior?

happy to say both animals seem to be doing ok after a few weeks of ownership. :smile:

I would see mine interact at different times and would initially panic for fear they would hurt each other. Never happened. I even have a photo or two in one of the journals where Sisturus and Medusa fought over a crab with no damage to either octo. When Sisty was partially paralized just before death, Medusa did not harm or attack him. Mating is a slight possibility but we have differing reports. My mating couple (housed in a 45 gallon tank - too large IMO for mercs) had a courtship phase of about a month and then sort of a sneak "attack" where the male covered the den, effectively locking the female in while he passed the sperm packets. He actually did this twice, once after the Miss Broody had successfully brooded her eggs. Roy, on the other hand, did not house his together (at least I believe this is the case since I know he does not usually do this) and the male was quite violent when he was introduced to the female.

That being said, my group were raised together and were sibblings and yours have only been recently introduced so please report on what you see, good or bad to help our knowledge of these little guys. I currently have a lone female somewhere in my 15 but I have not seen her since introduction so I am thinking about adding a second.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back