Gonatopsis

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Gonatopsis is noteworthy because as an adult, it lacks tentacles.

SEE! I even have proof!

Although, this really isn't all that unique, as members of Octopoteuthidae also have lost their tentacles....

Info at:
Gonatopsis

Attachments

• conv_305141.jpg
    conv_305141.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 245
Don't forget that every single Mastigo specimen that I have is also lacking tentacles. Of course, it's only because of their poor construction so they get pulled off. Gonatopsis sure is adorable in paralarval form!

It is the starfish looking arrangement around what I understand to be the buccal mass that I have not noticed before. It may be that I just have not seen it opened like that since I mostly see live animals and don't really look much at the dead one :oops:

There is a buccal mass but not that starfish looking shape around it (either open or closed as in the Humboldt). I was sure I had not seen it before but then looked at my monitor's wallpaper :oops: - no starfish shape on O. briareus, just suckers in a circle around the not exposed beak. Then thinking about it, I am sure I have never see anything like that in the flesh, even with beak exposed so I would say from observation and personal photos the little guys we keep normally don't have it or it is very, very small and hidden behind the tiny suckers that encircle the beak area.

This is LittleBit (probably small vulgaris) all the ones I have for briareus show food in the way :roll: but it is the same as with hummelincki

Attachments

• conv_299777.jpg
    conv_299777.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 184
here's gonatopsis brooding eggs in the gulf of california. there was some back and forth over what genus of gonatid this was - mike v thought it was gonatopsis borealis but dick young wasn't totally sold on that identification, last i heard. pretty sure this is the only observation of gonatopsis with eggs.

FK190211_20190227T194721Z_4K_SCI_S0231.jpg

two species of gonatus have been observed brooding, one of them multiple times (onyx), but gonatopsis hasn't been observed aside from this instance.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back