Glowing Fish are First Genetically Engineered Pets.

Vid_Octo

Hatchling
Registered
First things first.. I don't know if there is a general, non-octo-but-still-aquatic-kinda-news area, so, apologies in advance for going OT..

http://slashdot.org/ have the following feature on their front page:

Science: Glowing Fish are First Genetically Engineered Pets

Texas-based biotechnology company Yorktown Technologies will start selling a 'genetically engineered aquarium fish that glows in the dark.' The trademarked GloFish -- 'a tropical zebra fish infused with the gene of a sea anemone that makes it glow fluorescent red' -- is first genetically engineered pet. The possible consequences of introducing a new trangenic species into the environment has touched off a debate that has critics such as the National Academies of Science and the Center for Food Safety calling for a ban on the sale of the fish unless the FDA regulates and approves it. The fish go on sale in January 2004.

---

The ethics of messing around with.. and releasing ' modified ' animals to the general public like this makes me shudder tbh.. :yinyang:

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I'd heard/read about this in Science/Nature/New Scientist one of them anyway (OK so I'm a Science Nerd :madsci: ) wasn't sure about it then not sure about it now!

J

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Well down here in Singapore, they were banned and 400 odd fish were confiscated about less than a week after they came in. They were afraid that if released, it might do some damage to our ecosystem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keke77

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak