• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Glowing Eye Spots

I found a picture on the internet a few days ago of a juvenile bimac with a vibrant purple eye spot. Was this photo shop or is there a certain light spectrum that will cause normally blue eye spots to glow different colors, and are they safe for the animals?

It would be helpful if you posted a link to the picture but lighting will certainly bring out the colors and both bimac and hummelincki can display the eyespot very boldly.

Here is the picture.

Attachments

• conv_298443.jpg
    conv_298443.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 106
I have seen my hummelincki display just as brilliant a blue in my 55 gallon tank which only has household fluorescent lights. so no I dont believe it is lighting related.

I just google'd Octopus Bimaculatus and that picture came up and the person who posted it labeled it as such. It's a beautiful octopus none the less. So is Octopus Mototi available in the aquarium trade? Does it almost always keep that color patern?

Late to the ballgame but the body does not look at all like a bimac but the stripe pattern does look like the pictures I have seen of Mototi. One of our member's father amazed locals by catching them only to find out later that they were poisonous (sadly, I cannot locate the thread).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back