• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Glowing Eye Spots

skywindsurfer

Architeuthis
Registered
I found a picture on the internet a few days ago of a juvenile bimac with a vibrant purple eye spot. Was this photo shop or is there a certain light spectrum that will cause normally blue eye spots to glow different colors, and are they safe for the animals?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
It would be helpful if you posted a link to the picture but lighting will certainly bring out the colors and both bimac and hummelincki can display the eyespot very boldly.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I think it is just a great pic that happened to capture the light and the eye-spot perfectly.

skywindsurfer

Architeuthis
Registered
You don't think there is a specific light spectrum that could turn the blue eye spots other colors like a black light or purple actinics?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I have seen my hummelincki display just as brilliant a blue in my 55 gallon tank which only has household fluorescent lights. so no I dont believe it is lighting related.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member

skywindsurfer

Architeuthis
Registered
I just google'd Octopus Bimaculatus and that picture came up and the person who posted it labeled it as such. It's a beautiful octopus none the less. So is Octopus Mototi available in the aquarium trade? Does it almost always keep that color patern?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Late to the ballgame but the body does not look at all like a bimac but the stripe pattern does look like the pictures I have seen of Mototi. One of our member's father amazed locals by catching them only to find out later that they were poisonous (sadly, I cannot locate the thread).

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I have always thought they were deadly like the blue ring but, looking for information does not confirm or deny that understanding. Here is a nice video of one in situ. You can clearly see the stripes and ring forming when it is disturbed.

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
DWhatley;179410 said:
Late to the ballgame but the body does not look at all like a bimac but the stripe pattern does look like the pictures I have seen of Mototi. One of our member's father amazed locals by catching them only to find out later that they were poisonous (sadly, I cannot locate the thread).
I remember that. I found this... Is it what you where talking about?

skywindsurfer

Architeuthis
Registered
I must say that I'm very tempted to seek out one of these little guys, though I would really like to learn more about this "poisonous" bit. That was a great video.

Members online

No members online now.