Glove Growing Up

Here are some pics from a week ago. Check out the coloration in some.

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

DSCN2005.jpg

We are sure Glove is Aculatus right? So many of the pictures remind me of Octane (Hummelincki) and I was very carefully observing the mantle patterning tonight and Glove's markings look the same.

I wonder if that blue/green is created by the halides? I have a very dull starfish that looks deep blue under actinics and if you ever see a mandarin with the lights off, they are really sort of brown so I am thinking that some shades of brown reflect a blue color under certain wavelength.

I wanted to post a recent full tank shot that someone took for me as I received a few emails asking me what corals I have in the tank. I think there is a perception that I have a typical reef tank when in fact I do not. The only corals I have in the tank are a fluorescent green candycane (@ 10 heads), maroon mushrooms (5-6 polyps), assorted ricordia mushrooms (@ 5 polyps), pumping xenia (3 stalks), a few small frags of montipora (4 frags), one encrusting gonipora rock, small pulsing sinularia, blue zoos (3 heads), and a large toadstool leather. I think it appears that there is much more in my tank mainly because of the Gorgonians of which I have over 15 species in the tank and maybe because I have metal halide lights. The lights are for the plates.

JHL_5085.jpg

dwhatley;113491 said:
We are sure Glove is Aculatus right? So many of the pictures remind me of Octane (Hummelincki) and I was very carefully observing the mantle patterning tonight and Glove's markings look the same.

I wonder if that blue/green is created by the halides? I have a very dull starfish that looks deep blue under actinics and if you ever see a mandarin with the lights off, they are really sort of brown so I am thinking that some shades of brown reflect a blue color under certain wavelength.

I don't know D. Gloves tentacles seem much longer than Octanes. In the picture above, Glove is actually pulling an Asian shore Crab from the cave next to his den.

You could be right about the halides. I just changed the bulbs from Hamilton 14Ks which are a bit blue to Ushio 14ks which are more white. I liked the coloration of the Hamiltons much better but the Ushio gives off much more light.

Here you go D. Pictures of one of the ribbon eels and the Octo in the same den as promised a while back. I know they are not the best pictures but this is the best I have been able to do. It is rare for the Octo to be out in the middle of the day. You can see the Octo peeking out at the base of the eel.

DSCN2072.jpg

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2056.jpg

DSCN2055.jpg

DSCN2050.jpg

On your first set of pics, with a blue ribbon eel, on the third one down, I see the tail of a mandarin dragonet, is this correct? If so, how big of a tank do you have, how long have you had it, what does it eat, is it hard to defeat, and do you think I could keep one in a 12 gallon tank? I know this is off topic, and a lot of questions, but Im really interested in keeping one and cant find a straight answer online.

I really like your octo pictures as well, Im jealous of all you guys that can take such good pics, I can never take such good pics. :rolleyes:

L8 2 RISE;114570 said:
On your first set of pics, with a blue ribbon eel, on the third one down, I see the tail of a mandarin dragonet, is this correct? If so, how big of a tank do you have, how long have you had it, what does it eat, is it hard to defeat, and do you think I could keep one in a 12 gallon tank? I know this is off topic, and a lot of questions, but Im really interested in keeping one and cant find a straight answer online.

I really like your octo pictures as well, Im jealous of all you guys that can take such good pics, I can never take such good pics. :rolleyes:

I do have a Mandarin in a 72 gallon bow front. This particular Mandarin was bought with special consideration. It eats mysis shrimp. It is nearly impossible to find them eating frozen foods. If you had them eating frozen foods I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to keep one in a 12 gallon. I've seen people mating them in 10 gallons. The key is buying them when they are eating frozen foods otherwise they are doomed in smaller tanks. I'd keep an eye out for someone selling one they have had for a while otherwise you may be wasting your money trying to get one to eat. This is definitely one fish that it pays to wait for the right one versus buying anyone you see in the pet store.

There is techniques I've read about online for training them to eat frozen foods but you'll need to supplement their diet with live foods until you get them eating frozen. In a 12 gallon, you won't be able to sustain the amount of pods they'll need to survive so you'll have to buy live foods. A good place to get live foods is Sachs Aquaculture (www.aquaculturestore.com). You'd have to order from them weekly to keep up on the diet for a Mandarin.

Now, THOSE are PICTURES! New camera or just a cooperating Glove? The color on the sucker rings and the brown that almost looks blue in some light is very much like one of Octane's coloration (Hummelincki) but the Glove's leggy look distinguished the two.

dwhatley;114616 said:
Now, THOSE are PICTURES! New camera or just a cooperating Glove? The color on the sucker rings and the brown that almost looks blue in some light is very much like one of Octane's coloration (Hummelincki) but the Glove's leggy look distinguished the two.

Thanks D. I borrowed a friends camera. What a difference. LOL

amazing

Hi:

I am just amazed that everything in your tank is alive, its unreal to me that you have an octo, seahorses, pipefish and other fish living together.

BRAVO! I am very impressed, the minute I saw the pic of your full tank I thought everything would be dead within a few days; I applaud you for your continued sucess.

Regards,

Estefano

eisaiasjr;114952 said:
Hi:

I am just amazed that everything in your tank is alive, its unreal to me that you have an octo, seahorses, pipefish and other fish living together.

BRAVO! I am very impressed, the minute I saw the pic of your full tank I thought everything would be dead within a few days; I applaud you for your continued sucess.

Regards,

Estefano

Thanks. I'm not sure why you would think everything in the tank would die in a few days when the tank has been up running with almost all of the livestock for over a year before this thread was even started.
:confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back