Glove Growing Up

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Domboski, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Domboski

Domboski O. vulgaris Supporter

This is really a continuation of the thread located here: Octopus

Since we already identified the Octo I thought this forum would me more appropriate for posting updated photo's and videos.

Check out Glove's camouflage here. Look like that shell?

[​IMG]

Here is a video of Glove eating: Eating

Here is a video of Glove foraging in the evening under actinics: Hunter

Here is a picture of the other Octo who had 3 legs and now has 3 legs and five small legs. Can you see him?

[​IMG]

2. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Nice color changes on him. Do you have two octopuses in the same tank?

3. Domboski

So far they mostly stay away from each other. They have interacted on occasion without any problems. The one that seems most interested is the smaller one loves to touch Glove. The interest hasn't been mutual yet. I keep a close eye on them and if it seems a problem may be forming I have a 24 gallon AP ready for one of the Octos. They have been together for about a month and a half.

4. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Are they both A. Aculeatus?

5. Domboski

Yes

6. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Some of the conversations that followed post #5 in this Journal got out of hand and resulted in my locking the thread, so we've decided to remove all posts back to post #5 and reopen this Journal. Many interesting things were said along the way, and I hope the best of them will resurface.

Nancy

7. SandV

SandV Wonderpus Registered

I love his skunk look...

8. Domboski

Today I witnessed the first interaction between Glove and a ribbon eel (at least my first time seeing it). Surprising considering Glove has blocked off one of the three entrances / exits I created in a PVC tunnel as his den. Glove did not want the eel attempting to go into his den so he gently pushed the eel away. I wish I had video!

Here is a video of Mr. 3 Legger. I still have to spot feed him but he has shown signs of daytime hunting. It seems as he grows his tentacles back his confidence builds. When he is 100% is probably when we will get a true gauge on the interactions of the two Octopuses. I think you can see his stub tentacles if you look closely: MR. 3 LEGGER

Here is a pic too:
    [​IMG]

Here is a couple of pictures of one of Glove's neighbors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the crab holding pen and some fiddlers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Domboski

10. Domboski

Check out this video. I dropped a bunch of pods and live mysids in the tank for the seahorses as a treat. Check out who joined in on the feast: Hungry Octo

11. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Good pics and I especially like the video!

Nancy

12. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

the "skunk stripe" look is great, is that Glove's typical look when excited about food?

I'm also frequently surprised at how many reports there are of cephs eating crustaceans much smaller than they are, everything from dwhatley's mercs eating cyclop-eze to humboldts scooping up krill with their arms. I'm not at all clear on how they get the small things to the beak, and whether they just swallow them alive or use some beak-radula action to chew them up. It seems like large suckers wouldn't be able to grab small critters, although maybe the small ones at the ends of the arms would...

13. Domboski

Thank you.

The skunk look is something new now that he has that large snail shell near his den.

14. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Monty,
    I am still trying to figure that out. Except in the video I posted where Trapper would take the Cyclop-eeze by mouth almost directly from the pipette, I can't say that I have "seen" them eating the tiny food but I know they do. I think it "sticks" to their suckers and they must move it up to the mouth. If you remember, I posted a question back with Trapper and asked if there was any chance of directly ingesting from the suckers since there seems to be a sense of taste there. I remember you replying that there was no suggestion of this ability but watching even the tiny ones sweep the water columln for small food still makes me wonder.

15. SandV

Rigby has "attacked" pods before but he lets them go... I don't know if he just doesn't know what to do with them or if he just thinks it is fun to catch them and let them go... kinda like fishing... but i see him let them go..

16. DWhatley

SandV,
    This is definitely consumption. Trapper lived over 12 weeks on nothing but Cyclop-eeze (while and after brooding young). After she quit eating crab and shrimp, I noticed her "sweeping" the water whenever I would feed the babies so I started including her in the pipette feeding. Now I include Cyclop-eeze daily in the diet of the adults as well as the new babies (note I said include as I also feed crab and shrimp). The adults will sometimes decline shrimp but never decline the Cyclop-eeze and are still doing well after nine + months.

17. Domboski

More Pics

Gloves Suckers on the Glass:

[​IMG]

Mr. 3 Legger's Suckers on the Glass (as you can see, Mr. 3L is out much more when the halides are on now that he has grown a bit):

[​IMG]

18. SandV

I love that gorgonian in the second pic

19. DWhatley

So far, no sign of enlarged suckers that I can detect (3L may not count in the observation) but I am not sure all species have this male/female distinction and Medusa did not show his until several months after they were very clear on Sisturus (both Mercatoris). So far, observing my 2 males in a small tank and two males and 1 female in a larger tank, I am beginning to think that males are more social than females (observations limited to this one brood) and that keeping two males together may produce better pets, just no young.

20. Domboski

I witnessed another interaction between Glove and my Blue Ribbon Eel. This time I was nervous (probably because I was walking out the door on my way to work ughh). It looked like Glove took a very aggressive pose and almost seemed to be grabbing the eel to bite. I was surprised that the eel wasn't squirming or trying to get away. I took a closer inspection and it just seemed like Glove was inspecting or just liked the way the eel felt. Weird. Anyone have an idea of what this behavior is? I've always kept my Octos in species specific tanks before these two so I am not sure what Glove was doing. Glove was light brown in color, no patterns, and seemed almost to be stroking the Eel. As the Eel was swiiming around, Glove would pull in part of the eels body towards him (thats what made me think he was going to bite) but then would let the eel swim away gently as if he liked the way the Eels body rubbed up against his suckers and tentacles. The Eel showed zero sign of alarm or that he felt like he was being restricted.

I'm just hoping it wasn't Glove sizing the eel up as a potential meal (the Blue Ribbon Eel is full grown). Any thoughts?