Gimpy's Eggs Hatched

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Tonight Jess and I noticed about 10 tiny planktonic baby octopuses swarming by the top of the tank. 4 hours later there has to be several hundred. So Gimpy was in fact fertile when I bought her from the LFS 4 months ago. She denned 5 weeks ago and the eggs have hatched tonight. She is no longer as holed up now that her babies have hatched. Sad part is they are just about impossible to rear. Amazing part is that she was quite young when caught, and now I'm wondering if the fact she was missing an arm was from an encounter with a male octopus in the wild.

Too bad the hatchlings are planktonic - maybe someday we'll figure out how to raise them.

How is Gimpy doing? Is she taking any food now that the eggs have hatched?

Nancy

Well...that is certainly something else !!! Hope Gimpy hangs on for a bit...

Well...Gimp is still holed up in her den. The openning has opened some and I've seen her blowing sand out. She has not emerged at all after the hatching. She has not eaten in 5 weeks now.The babies are slowly disapearing.:sad: I had hope maybe as my son said because of the population of shrimp maybe there were babies to sustain them. Plus he pointed out all the locally caught food that has been put into the tank, maybe there's some microscopic food residing in the tank. They basically swim at the top while a few venture down the sides of the tank and some are swarming by the green lego that floats by the top. Who knows. Maybe I'll be surprised one day with one or two that made it.

corw314 said:
Well...Gimp is still holed up in her den. The openning has opened some and I've seen her blowing sand out. She has not emerged at all after the hatching. She has not eaten in 5 weeks now.The babies are slowly disapearing.:sad: I had hope maybe as my son said because of the population of shrimp maybe there were babies to sustain them. Plus he pointed out all the locally caught food that has been put into the tank, maybe there's some microscopic food residing in the tank. They basically swim at the top while a few venture down the sides of the tank and some are swarming by the green lego that floats by the top. Who knows. Maybe I'll be surprised one day with one or two that made it.

You might try to see how they fare in a separate container, no filtration, plankton from the aquaculture store and water changes to keep it fresh. Still real doubtful, but I'd hate to see all the little guys go without a chance.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back