Giant squid on display at Melbourne Aquarium

dub_doctor said:
Hell - I'd PAY $10 to get a chance to lick the ice block! Though I may consider that to be part of the $23 admission price.

Hmmmmmmm and our visitors complain about our NZ$8 per adult or NZ$16 per family entry, OK so we're tiny compared to the Melbourne Aq, (only one room of tanks!) but still..............

Maybe the Melbourne folk need to sit in on our animal encounters (10-15 min talks on the hour) at the moment we do two "colossal squid" ones, admittedly we tend to talk a bit about squid in general , one octopus one and a seahorse and bellowsfish talk they are most popular!

J

Just a quickie to say thankyou to dub_doctor for taking the time to photograph the beast and write a report.

Even though you did not rate the exhibition I'm sure many of us are envious of you for just seeing the squid. There can't be many of these on public display in the world. I think there is one on display in the Tokyo Science Museum, a small one at the aquarium in Plymouth in the UK, and sometime soon one to go on display at the British Museum of Natural History in London.

Anyone know of any others?

Phil said:
Just a quickie to say thankyou to dub_doctor for taking the time to photograph the beast and write a report.

Even though you did not rate the exhibition I'm sure many of us are envious of you for just seeing the squid. There can't be many of these on public display in the world.

No problems Phil. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression - it was still awesome to see the giant beast, and I realise how lucky we are to have it here. It is just that the exhibition could have been SO much better.

There is a model of a giant squid on display in the South Australian Museum in Adelaide. Not the real thing, but stilll quite impressive. See: http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/page/default.asp?site=1&id=450

The aquarium here in Melbourne is, as far as I know, a private concern so seem to be trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of the public. The zoo is $21 to get in as well - an expensive day out for a family.

Nice to see my littlw toy squid having a day out with is new friends!

KRin

dub_doctor said:
There is a model of a giant squid on display in the South Australian Museum in Adelaide. Not the real thing, but stilll quite impressive. See: http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/page/default.asp?site=1&id=450

"The model of the giant squid, Architeuthis dux, is 11 metres in length and modelled on the largest squid ever recorded, found in New Zealand waters. From tail to arm tip she measures 5.6 metres, longer than the “colossal” squid Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni found in Antarctic waters. Add to this the feeding tentacles, 85 metres in length. Architeuthis also possesses the largest eyes of any living animal with a diameter of 25cm"

Oops, comma, anyone? 85 metres?

ob said:
"The model of the giant squid, Architeuthis dux, is 11 metres in length and modelled on the largest squid ever recorded, found in New Zealand waters. From tail to arm tip she measures 5.6 metres, longer than the “colossal” squid Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni found in Antarctic waters. Add to this the feeding tentacles, 85 metres in length. Architeuthis also possesses the largest eyes of any living animal with a diameter of 25cm"

Oops, comma, anyone? 85 metres?

We have the model of the Colossal caught in Antarctica (I WILL post pics of her in place I promise!) but the infor we were given is that she's 6m (350kg) and perhaps 2/3 grown...........we're watching out for mummy)

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back