Giant squid on display at Melbourne Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Phil, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

2. Feelers

Feelers Vampyroteuthis Registered

Im gonna be in Auz around the start of Feb - so I might be able to go.

3. dub_doctor

dub_doctor Blue Ring Registered

I live in Melbourne! We plan to go early next week, and I will post something on squidblog. For now I just have this information: http://www.squidblog.net/2005/12/20/melbourne-aquariums-giant-squid/ (and if you'd looked at squidblog you'd have seen this news 2 days ago).

For those of you who can't get to Melbourne you can look at a video report here: http://media.fairfax.com.au/?rid=17723&site=age

4. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello Dub_Doctor,

$10 if you lick the ice-block.

Cheers,
    Clem

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I wanna see pics of that. 10 bucks from me too !

6. dub_doctor

Hell - I'd PAY $10 to get a chance to lick the ice block! Though I may consider that to be part of the $23 admission price.

7. krin

krin GPO Supporter

I'll be going along too as soon as I can but the $23 entry fee is a little steep! I can join for $47 and get unlimited entry so I mmight do that instead. Hopefully this means there will be lots of squid stuf in the gift shop. Hey Dub Doc, want to meet up and go "oh" and "ar" at the exhibit?

Cheers, KRin

8. dub_doctor

Sounds like a good idea - we may even be able to get together for a "family" ticket. ('Cos all of us at TONMO are family, aren't we?).

9. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

$20 if you collect some ice shavings and make a sno-cone.

10. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

another 20 from me if you mail me some of that ice. :wink:

11. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Yeah, I want some too. If I get this new job on the horizon, I'll send the $20.

12. Phil

That does seem to be somewhat expensive, but if it allows one access to the whole aquarium for the day, helps pay for the upkeep of the animals and allows one to see a stunningly presented giant squid I'd certainly say it was definitely worth it.

Look forward to reading your report Krin and Dub Doctor!

13. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

we will need to see some photographic evidence!!!!

14. dub_doctor

15. dub_doctor

We finally made it to the Melbourne Aquarium today. Sadly it was not possible to lick the icy squid - it was carefully protected behind a thick sheet of glass. But we got close enought for Annalena to introduce her little friend to it.

I must say that apart from the frozen Architeuthis I was not all that impressed with the exhibition, or the aquarium more generally. Some of the fish and reptiles were cool, but it seemed sadly lacking in cephalopods - even the gift shop just had a few octopus souvenirs, and nothing at all celebrating the giant squid.

As for the Monsters of the Deep exhibition, apart from the frozen squid and a video of some Humboldt Squid, there wasn't much else. There was also a small display of Flashlight fish, Dumpling squid and a Sand Octopus, but there were way too many people trying to look at it, so I couldn't get very close. There was also very little information provided, so apart from a bit of a WOW factor it wouldn't be a terribly good educational experience to introduce someone to the wonders of cephalopods.

Attached Files:

16. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Hmmmmmmm and our visitors complain about our NZ$8 per adult or NZ$16 per family entry, OK so we're tiny compared to the Melbourne Aq, (only one room of tanks!) but still..............

Maybe the Melbourne folk need to sit in on our animal encounters (10-15 min talks on the hour) at the moment we do two "colossal squid" ones, admittedly we tend to talk a bit about squid in general , one octopus one and a seahorse and bellowsfish talk they are most popular!

J

17. Phil

Just a quickie to say thankyou to dub_doctor for taking the time to photograph the beast and write a report.

Even though you did not rate the exhibition I'm sure many of us are envious of you for just seeing the squid. There can't be many of these on public display in the world. I think there is one on display in the Tokyo Science Museum, a small one at the aquarium in Plymouth in the UK, and sometime soon one to go on display at the British Museum of Natural History in London.

Anyone know of any others?

18. dub_doctor

No problems Phil. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression - it was still awesome to see the giant beast, and I realise how lucky we are to have it here. It is just that the exhibition could have been SO much better.

There is a model of a giant squid on display in the South Australian Museum in Adelaide. Not the real thing, but stilll quite impressive. See: http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/page/default.asp?site=1&id=450

19. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

that looks really awsome!

20. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Great pics dub_doc, wish I could go see it but the whole other side of the planet thing means It would be a bit more than a day trip.