Giant Squid in Aquarium!

It's an animated film/ride.

Sorry if that got everyone a bit excited. I get a Google News alert every time someone puts on a news article about Giant Squid and this popped into my in box today

Home

Wish I could visit that aquarium, the squid film sounds amazing.

Here's a sampler from the article:

"Aiyanna Burton and Tiajah Robinson let out chilling screams as a huge squid appeared on the screen.

Their seats rumbled as the beast made contact with a submarine, and water squirted in their faces and blasts of air hit their legs.

Their excitement stemmed from the new 4D Theater, which opened Tuesday at Adventure Aquarium.

The $2 million theater features the film Deep Sea - 4D, which takes visitors on a simulated submarine ride more than a mile below the ocean's surface.

"The scariest thing was the squid," said Aiyanna, 9, of Wilmington, Del.

Visitors put on 3-D glasses to see the movie."

Green with envy that I can't get to see that. Anyone here going to go?

Yo Captain N - your avatar is of Pinnoctopus cordiformis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1832), an enigmatic beast from down under in New Zealand! The fins around the mantle are a post-mortem artefact (the mantle skin sags, then spreads around the mantle when the octopus is dead and placed on a table) - way cool to see someone use it actually. This is New Zealand's 'common' coastal octopus; it's also found in Australia where it is/was known as Octopus maorum and O. flindersi.

Off topic I know, but had to comment.

Steve O'Shea said:
Yo Captain N - your avatar is of Pinnoctopus cordiformis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1832), an enigmatic beast from down under in New Zealand! The fins around the mantle are a post-mortem artefact (the mantle skin sags, then spreads around the mantle when the octopus is dead and placed on a table) - way cool to see someone use it actually. This is New Zealand's 'common' coastal octopus; it's also found in Australia where it is/was known as Octopus maorum and O. flindersi.

Off topic I know, but had to comment.

:biggrin2: Wow! Thanks Dr. O'Shea, :notworth: That's impressive.

I've been wondering what it was. I first saw the illustration in Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints & Madmen, but then found the picture in one of those huge books of copyright free drawings you can use for embelishing stuff, so beloved of publishers. I was fascinated by it because of the curious arms, so long, and the strange fins (I wasn't sure if it was squid or octopus). I love old scientific illustrations and this one was particularly compelling, beautiful arrangement of the arms don't you think?

Back on the subject though, do any UK members know which are the best British aquariums for Ceph action? London Aquarium has an Octopus, Plymouth has a jerky animatronic Giant Squid (which squeaks) and Bristol Zoo Aquarium has a lifesize painting of Archi. That's all I know about, we certainly don't have anything as cool as a ride/film where a sub is buzzed by a Giant Squid! Or do we?

:unionjac:

Iv been to the adventure aquarium AND iv done the 4-D giant squid ride.

Trust me though..it's not as good as I thought it would be. It's interesting, but it only lasts fo about 5 minutes or so. Its very short and shows the giant squid in 4-D format for about 2 minutes tops. It quicky is seen and the show is over. The special effects is so, so. Makes me laugh feeling the seats jerk in the same movements every 2 seconds. lol. Its worth seeing though since they only charge 4 dollars extra. It wasn't as good as I expected though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back