Giant Squid Caught On Video

I'm watching it all right now, and it's very different from the Discovery program. No BS "competition" in evidence, and if you want to make a drinking game of it, the narrator's repeated use of "twilight zone" will put you under the table. You've been warned.

Clem

THANKS Clem!

If you don't have time for the whole thing AT LEAST watch part 3. Definitely more footage. Going backwards now to part to since I know how the story ends :biggrin2:

They also included a segment on the camera attached to the whale (I wondered if I was mistaken that this was going to be tried) but Part I, the intro on how it all began was quite special from Discovery. In spite of a bit of a dramatic approach (and the length of actual squid footage), I enjoyed the Discovery version best. It is definitely worth watching both.

:periscop:

So... I finally saw the doco (didn't want to show my face here until I had!). It still hasn't aired in NZ but, well, the squid lab down here can be inventive when needed :roll: Wow. Just wow! What a beautiful animal. The iridescence was so unexpected! I did also wonder whether it was the same individual filmed by Medusa and Ku, but one of the arms in Ku's animal was noticeably damaged, so I think not. Unless it had had one of those encounters with sperm whales in the meantime where it survived using its 'ability to stay at depth while the whale had to surface'... What was THAT all about. :hmm: Anyway, thanks very much to Clem for posting links to the Japanese version; I am very curious to see how they set up the encounter and will hope to watch it this evening.

BTW, Ku definitely did not leak any footage at CIAC. Just the super-cool flying ommastrephids.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back