Giant Squid Caught On Video

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Damien,
Unfortunately, the video is not available from a US internet connection.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Damien, with regards to armlength, opinions differ; some would argue that there are several subspecies to be found within the Architeuthis dux nomen. With regards to tentacles, longlining seems to be the main culprit...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve mentioned that to make the documentary into a cohesive story, many of the scenes were out of sequence. In the bonus footage they show a tentacle from a giant squid and the one filmed had none. What was interesting is that there was no conjecture that the one found on the fishermen's line might have belonged to the one sighted and I wondered if the e-jelly sighting was before or after the tentcale was caught.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Also was the e-jelly squid the same one as Dr.Ku encountered? they were both missing both tentacles, or just a coincidence?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there would be a way to confirm that. They appeared to be the same size and both missing two tentacles but without a good shot of body scars ... all archi's look alike :wink:

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
DWhatley;196596 said:
Damien,
Unfortunately, the video is not available from a US internet connection.
It sound's logical (right agreements).
Whatever, the documentary was excellent (Arte is a good quality channel but a little bit elitist so the audience's rate is never very high .. "hélas").

Just after that there was another documentary also interesting but off topic : "swimming with fish". Two french and belgium apneists/free divers who are also photograph and cameramen). documentary present pictures of swimming in apnea into different part of the world with several species including whales, dolphins, seals, great white shark, great hammerhead shark, tiger shark etc...

Silence allowed by apnea/free diving permits very interesting observation and contact ( including tagging white shark !).

OB;196600 said:
Damien, with regards to armlength, opinions differ; some would argue that there are several subspecies to be found within the Architeuthis dux nomen. With regards to tentacles, longlining seems to be the main culprit...
concerning species/subspecies: I need to read again the posts and papers on that, it is still not very clear in my mind. (8 species or only one with sub species ?) As long we cannot prove the crossbreeding I suppose that only genetic's material can be used to make hypothesis.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, we are used to seeing other countries being blocked from the US internet sites but this was a first for me to experience being blocked because I was in the US. I did have to look up apneists and once I had the proper punctuation, Google did translate. I should have figured out the English was freediver/diving from your comments. Sad not to be able to see the videos. I am sure I would have liked them.

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
You can check images on google with search on "Frédéric Buyle" (one of the two apneists/free divers , french langage but belgium citizen in fact).

http://cdn.deeperblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/greatwhiteshark_and_diver_fred_buyle.jpg

the quality of the pictures he can take is awesome.

This is his page : http://nektos.net/
http://nektos.net/?page_id=1210

unfortunately no squid in his porfolio.

Usually Arte channel organizes the evening on a thema, and sunday evening's thema was sea : giant squid documentary followed by this one, it was a great tv program.

remark : If necessary you can move this last post into a proper subject.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Those photos are incredible! Unbelievable that he takes those without SCUBA! I would try the whale swim but not the shark! And forget getting in the water with a whole school and trying to tag hammer heads! Tiger sharks are beautiful. I would try the little scooter but not the monfin. Great viewing.

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm watching it all right now, and it's very different from the Discovery program. No BS "competition" in evidence, and if you want to make a drinking game of it, the narrator's repeated use of "twilight zone" will put you under the table. You've been warned.

Clem

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
THANKS Clem!

If you don't have time for the whole thing AT LEAST watch part 3. Definitely more footage. Going backwards now to part to since I know how the story ends :biggrin2:

They also included a segment on the camera attached to the whale (I wondered if I was mistaken that this was going to be tried) but Part I, the intro on how it all began was quite special from Discovery. In spite of a bit of a dramatic approach (and the length of actual squid footage), I enjoyed the Discovery version best. It is definitely worth watching both.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! So it did have tentacles (at least one), they were just short - I was wondering why it was waving that one appendage differently.

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
:periscop:

So... I finally saw the doco (didn't want to show my face here until I had!). It still hasn't aired in NZ but, well, the squid lab down here can be inventive when needed :roll: Wow. Just wow! What a beautiful animal. The iridescence was so unexpected! I did also wonder whether it was the same individual filmed by Medusa and Ku, but one of the arms in Ku's animal was noticeably damaged, so I think not. Unless it had had one of those encounters with sperm whales in the meantime where it survived using its 'ability to stay at depth while the whale had to surface'... What was THAT all about. :hmm: Anyway, thanks very much to Clem for posting links to the Japanese version; I am very curious to see how they set up the encounter and will hope to watch it this evening.

BTW, Ku definitely did not leak any footage at CIAC. Just the super-cool flying ommastrephids.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh I wanna see the flying ommastrephids! ...................and the Giant Squid too of course!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes47

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak