Giant Squid Caught On Video

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe he showed it openly as one of our members would have seen it. I asked GPO87 to comment but it appears he is ignoring me (or just has not seen the request :roll:

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
There is a local precedent for biologists going rogue and sneak-previewing Discovery-owned footage. A few years ago, Greg Skomal, a State Marine Fisheries employee and the go-to guy for media inquiries about Cape Cod's growing great white population, gave a public presentation in my town. A few months earlier, he'd shot a Discovery special about those sharks. "I could get in a lot of trouble for showing this," he said, then treated us to some great footage of an 18-footer rolling on top of Skomal's cage.

Clem

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Clem, I am not arguing the possibility, only the if anything was shown OPENLY, one of the four (two being staff) would have mentioned it, even if only as a teaser. That does not rule out a semi-private showing that they could have missed.

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I ain't arguin' nothin.' Just pointing out that Steve and Ku aren't the only marine biologists frustrated by Discovery's hoarding tendencies.

Clem

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, argue was a bad choice of words, my bad.

Keeping it under wraps until they get around to presenting (they DID pay for it and DID plan over an extended period to get the results) bothers me less than what they present. From some of the docos we have watched and seen obvious reuse in multiple expeditions (not just Discovery) it seems that the get a lot of very good film but then cut it up so badly that you only get glimpses of what you want to see and it is disjoint. As a viewer, I find it frustrating. I am sure they do studies on attention span but I can't believe that they would not get better viewing with more complete exposure.

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Reaction score
DWhatley;195202 said:
I can't believe he showed it openly as one of our members would have seen it. I asked GPO87 to comment but it appears he is ignoring me (or just has not seen the request :roll:
WOW! Sometimes... I completely miss threads until weeks later. Sorry D. There was no secret video leaked at CIAC as far as I know. The video Ku showed was one about flying squid (which I mentioned in my review). Believe me, I would have let you know if I had seen something that amazing!

Danno

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't Nippon and Discovery sue him for pre-screening footage anyways? I'm sure they all had to sign NDA's. (NDA specifically geared towards the visual part, not the commentary part)

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to stumble over a high quality video on YouTube that was very briefly hosted last night - I'm afraid it has been pulled for some reason so I can't share it. However what I saw was astounding - you will all love it when you get to see it. Architeuthis has grace and beauty, it looks simply beautiful as it pulls away.

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it too Phil, "astounding" is a good description! It didn't take them long to pull it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scot B

Mobile app users
Latest mobile user

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak