Giant squid caught in West Seattle - KING5.com

This is a Jumbo Squid (humbolt / Dosidicus gigas) [edit: perhaps not! See responses below], not Giant (Architeuthis) or even Colossal (Mechonychoteuthis), but it's a big Jumbo at that!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. A most unusual beast indeed; the proportions are entirely wrong for Architeuthis; closer to Onykia robusta (nee Moroteuthis ), but there's just not enough to go on (the largely intact and thick tentacles are rather unusual for a mature verging on spent Onykia). The arms are disproportionately short relative to the mantle. Most bizarre. I wonder if it's a rubber hoax? (I see no point in 'letting it go' because it is EXTREMELY dead in that photograph!)

It is very likely Dosidicus. I am not sure what you are seeing to make you think otherwise, other than perhaps the fin shape, but it appears that the fin is partially tucked under itself. I wouldn't discount, however, Onykia robusta until I examined it closer.
The idea that it is a rubber hoax seems rather ridiculous.

Dosidicus would clearly show keels on arm pair #3 in this picture, and I further suggest the proportions are just... wrong...

To illustrate (hard to find comparable pics, sorry)

Dosidicus gigas

Dosidicusgigas.jpg

Note Large Triangular fins and keels.

Onykia robusta

1486307979_24c9a049b0.jpg

Note tapering fins, smaller headsize, slender arms etc.

"Fish and Wildlife agents were called, and they retrieved the squid. It's not clear where they took it."

... or what they'll do with it! Perhaps they'll interrogate it!

I doubt you would "clearly" see the arm keel in the picture in the story. On the squid I have examined myself it is hard to notice unless they are laid out nicely because of the "floppiness" of the tissue, especially when it has been dead for a while (as the white arms on this one make it look).
As for the fins, they are what most convince me that this is Dosidicus. Fins of humboldts are much more thick and robust than the fins of Onykia. Look at the leading edge of the fin. You can tell that it is a thick meaty fin, and it looks like the edge has been rolled up underneath the fin a bit, making the shape alone rather deceptive. I was hoping to see if for myself and collect some tissue, but F&W disposed of it rather quickly, so no dice.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back