Giant Squid Bites on Whales

Rob Romero

Blue Ring
Registered

Watching this fantastic clip, you not only see a sperm whale devouring a giant squid mantle, and ring scars on a live sperm whale, you see something I’d never seen or heard of before; what appears to be a fresh gouge mark (or two) from where a giant squid took a bite out of the whale’s head; HOW OFTEN HAS THIS BEEN DOCUMENTED?

Hi Rob - great vid, thanks for the link!

Sucker ring scars are not at all an uncommon find on beached sperm whales. I believe we do have some mentions and pics of this in our Whale Strandings forum.

The sonic capabilities of the sperm whale and potential use against giant squid has renewed significance in light of recent studies about the severity of damage to squid due to sonar blasts.

I think the bite wasn´t made at all by a giant squid but more likely by a cookiecutter shark, which often parasitize on sperm whales.

Interesting thought... but aren't cookiecutter shark bites typically a pretty deep gouge? I didn't watch the whole video (and it's been a while :smile:) but what I looked at looked more like surface marks... :hmm:

Most of the scars are obviously scars from suckers, but the two large deffects which were described by Rob Romero as "gauge marks" really look not like wounds caused by a squid beak but a lot like a cookiecutter shark wound.

Attachments

• Sperm whale scars 2.jpg
    Sperm whale scars 2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Sperm whale scars.jpg
    Sperm whale scars.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 458

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back